Baofeng UV-9G was a bust...try again, or something else?

WRPV846

I really like my UV9G. It’s worth the money you spend. Great starter radio. My problem like I’ve said before is the complete lack of GMRS users in my area. I just don’t know what to do. I’ve traveled at least a dozens miles from my home an nothing. All I can ask here in New Jersey is anyone in Monmouth county what to chat let me know where an when. 
Back4more70 good lick with your new radios. 
bob

Hi Bob,

I see from another thread that you’re still unable to find someone to chat with on the GMRS bands.  I really like the idea posted above by bobthetj03:

On 4/19/2022 at 1:05 PM, bobthetj03 said:

Bob, you could also use your HT as a scanner to listen in on any Ham traffic. 

https://repeaterbook.com/repeaters/index.php?state_id=none

Program some local to you 2M/70cm band repeater frequencies into your radio, then scan through them to see if you receive any traffic. That will at least tell you if there is a presence out there. The mag mount antenna is a good idea too. Stick it on a cookie sheet and place it somewhere high for better odds. 

Then, if you hear traffic on the ham bands, you may decide you want to become a ham.  There are lots of ham clubs all over that have study sessions, including one day ham-crams where you study and take the test on the same day, I believe. In my area there’s no formal GMRS activity but the hams get together weekly for three different net check ins, breakfast on Saturday morning, and a monthly meeting.

On 5/14/2022 at 4:20 AM, WRPL668 said:

Back4more70 good lick with your new radios. 

Thanks! I sent back the second radio, but the replacement (the third one) also didn't work 100% (no FM radio as advertised).  I took both UV-9G and some other FRS radios fishing last weekend, and they all worked great. I'm happy for now. And I decided I don't need an FM radio on my GMRS rigs haha