Baofeng UV-9G was a bust...try again, or something else?

WRPV846

I received my UV-9G over the weekend, and excitedly broke it out and put it together. Well, right off the bat, I notice something wrong. The antenna did not sit "true". It was slightly canted. I couldn't say for certain if it was fully seated. I checked my local NOAA, and it would not receive, even with squelch turned off.

I did some image research, and I'm fairly certain that the antenna was not what it was supposed to come with. It had a different base, and well as a thin orange ring around it near the base. I didn't see a single instance of that.

So, do I look at ordering another one, or look foe something else? Now, I did just today get a Radioddity GM-30. The original idea was that I'd have the more rugged radio, and my wife the less often used radio. I liked the idea of the UV-9G, but certainly not my first experience with it.

Since I'm new to all of this, I am wanting to keep the price low. Thanks.

Hello an welcome to this site. I have the same UV9G an the same antenna. The little red stripe. Mine fit very snug but all seems well. I get the NOAA channel, number one from the start. Also the FM comes in well. I do hear ,from a distance, some weak chatter. I now realize I live in a very quiet area GMRS wise.  So I ordered a new antenna.  It’s a Nagoya 771G an was told it won’t fit. Came yesterday an it fits. Going out an see what I can hear or not. 
I agree with you the GM-30/was my second choice. I just wanted a cheap, waterproof radio an this seems to fit the bill. Not the radios fault that I live in a dead zone. 
bob -WRPL668

It went on kinda sideways but then straightened out to sit properly. When I put on the replacement antenna the 771G it went on straight. Tight but correctly. I’ve always been able to here the NOVAA channel from the start an the FM channel. My problem is the almost complete lack of GMRS users in my area. That’s why the replacement antenna. 
I do hear some Morse code time to time dunno know what that means an some distant comms but never could transmit myself. 
Hope this helps. 
bob

2 hours ago, WRPL668 said:

It went on kinda sideways but then straightened out to sit properly. When I put on the replacement antenna the 771G it went on straight. Tight but correctly. I’ve always been able to here the NOVAA channel from the start an the FM channel. My problem is the almost complete lack of GMRS users in my area. That’s why the replacement antenna. 
I do hear some Morse code time to time dunno know what that means an some distant comms but never could transmit myself. 
Hope this helps. 
bob

You may try recording the Morse and running it through one of the decoder apps...it's semi likely to be a repeater identifying itself.

How do I do that?  Remember I’m a serious newbie an decoders are foreign to me.  My thoughts are the next time I hear Morse to stop the scan an rescan just on that channel correct?  
If I can’t hear any comms in the next number of weeks I might go the ham route to try an transmit. It will take some time, but living in a dead zone really sucks. When the rain stops, if ever, I’ll try again with my new 771G antenna.  How was I to know a dead zone was where I live in New Jersey, frustrated I am.  
thanks for all the help I’ve been given. 
bob - WRPL668

Bob, do you have a friend there with a gmrs radio or even a scanner that could be set to scan gmrs frequencies?

I will tell you that gmrs is great for people who form a group who need to communicate with each other and have a prearranged plan to use their radios.  Ham radio lends itself much more to random communications with people and a rich exploration of technologies. Neither is better per se, but they are different.  I can leave my GMRS radio on 24/7 in scan mode and I might hear some kids talking on FRS or some workers at a nearby hotel, but I hear nothing from GMRS hobbyists.  There are no GMRS repeaters in my city yet.  That may change someday.

On the other hand, I’m within easy range of two 2 meter analogue repeaters, one 70cm DMR/FM analog ham repeater, and just a little further from one 6 meter ham repeater.  Also, there’s an active amateur radio club here and in every large town.  I don’t know of something around here for GMRS.

230 miles east of me in Billings, Montana there have been a couple new GMRS repeaters.  I’m eager to get over there and listen in to hear how they’re used and gauge the amount and kind of traffic for myself. Obviously GMRS is becoming more ham-like in certain places, but it’s not that way everywhere just yet.

What would you think about attending a local ham radio club meeting just to see what it’s like.  Our local club has breakfast every Saturday morning at a local cafe.  There are some who are also interested in GMRS.  

Best wishes to you, whatever happens,

Steve

Hello Steve, thanks for encouraging words. However according to the comms. I don’t hear, I think I’m the only one in my area. I am allowed on three repeaters but can’t reach them. Hopefully with the 771G antenna I might be able to do that. But I’m thinking probably not. It is frustrating to hear nothing time after time while scanning. But I have hopes. 
Id love to belong to a group of users no matter GMRS or ham. But according to this site anit gonna happen.  I’ve always hoped that someone here would know of a group here in New Jersey that would work for me, but na-da. 
I will however keep trying an might get lucky. 
thanks again Steve. 
bob

Just off exit 117 on the parkway. Little town called Hazlet.  Let me check your site, thanks. 
Just looked an it’s 20 miles south for me. I’ll give a phone call tomorrow. On rethinking this I’ll pass. 
40+ miles on a 29 year old ford ranger is a bit much to say hi.  I’ll just hang here an hope for the best.  My nearest repeater is 10 miles an it’s a tad to far.  So I’ve to walk around an check for comms.  But thanks for the web site.

bob

On 4/6/2022 at 6:11 PM, WRPL668 said:

Just off exit 117 on the parkway. Little town called Hazlet.  Let me check your site, thanks. 
Just looked an it’s 20 miles south for me. I’ll give a phone call tomorrow. On rethinking this I’ll pass. 
40+ miles on a 29 year old ford ranger is a bit much to say hi.  I’ll just hang here an hope for the best.  My nearest repeater is 10 miles an it’s a tad to far.  So I’ve to walk around an check for comms.  But thanks for the web site.

bob

You might want to call anyway. It's possible that there is a club member close to you that you could either work with locally, or could ride to the club meeting with, so you don't put the miles on your truck. You could also search the FCC call sign database to see if there are any licensed hams close to you. In that case I suggest searching by zip code or city.

https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/searchAmateur.jsp

No don’t think the 935 is the answer. Need GMRS people in my area as I’m living in the “ dead zone”.  I put a Nagoya 771G on my uv9g an although I hear more is now a refined static ?.  The nearest club is a 40 mile + round trip for me. I drive a 29 year old ford ranger. At my age of 80+ years that trip anit for me. I’ll just a wait an see if anyone turns up. To old to try the Ham route. If I would there still is nobody near me. 
Fun anit it?

bob. WRPL668

2 hours ago, WRPL668 said:

No don’t think the 935 is the answer. Need GMRS people in my area as I’m living in the “ dead zone”.  I put a Nagoya 771G on my uv9g an although I hear more is now a refined static ?.  The nearest club is a 40 mile + round trip for me. I drive a 29 year old ford ranger. At my age of 80+ years that trip anit for me. I’ll just a wait an see if anyone turns up. To old to try the Ham route. If I would there still is nobody near me. 
Fun anit it?

bob. WRPL668

Bob,

i think you’re selling yourself short.  The technician class test is intentionally pretty easy and there are great free study aids on the internet.  I used one at HamStudy.org.  I ended up buying the app for my phone because I found the studying to be fun.  If I can do it you can too.  Our local ham club meets for breakfast on Saturdays and Larry, who is 93, is there every time.  It covers a much greater distance than GMRS, even without repeaters, but 2 meter FM analog repeaters are much more common than GMRS.

I’m sorry the Nagoya 771g didn’t help enough.

Hamstudy.org is a great resource. I used it to review for both the Tech and General license exams and will probably use it to help study for my Extra ticket. Also, there are literally hundreds of YouTube video Tech courses online which step through the ARRL Technician study book. Amazon sells several different study books for all of the amateur levels but the ARRL book is the best to use for the online classes. Our club has a weekly coffee meet where you can ask to have a test administered and they also conduct scheduled tests at various locations in our area. I didn't get my Tech until I was 76 and General when I was 77. I'll get my Extra at 78 so you're not too late to start. The biggest impediment is the cost of new ham gear but there are some great deals available on used equipment that work for both mobile and base operations. Some clubs can even provide used gear free to new hams.

On 4/14/2022 at 9:49 AM, WRPL668 said:

Fun anit it?

bob. WRPL668

Hey Bob, you make me feel like a youngster - I joined the over 70 for lunch bunch about 6 years ago, and my F-250 is only 22 years old - just barely broke in I guess. ?

While you are out in the Ranger, you might want to stick one of these up on the cab and plug it into your handheld, you will get a lot better luck than having the rubber duck inside all that metal/(Faraday cage), it comes with the adapters. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09TPZ221K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Better antenna might pull in some more locals, if they are out there.

Have fun!
Dave453

p.s. I was over 65 when I passed my Amateur Extra exam - which really is nothing more than a license to learn.  Don't sell yourself short!

Hi Dave, an thanks for the nice words.  My real problem is the lack of people GMRS, in my area. Putting that antenna on top of my truck could work if there any users in my area. So far I’ve not found any even after putting the Nagora 772G antenna on my handheld.  Now that said I’m not giving up for finding folks. 
I might try the ham route if I knew that there ham folks in my area. With the cost of ham equipment I’m afraid of trying an finding no one.   I hate wining but I’ll keep plugging along. 
Thanks again for your nice words an welcome to our site. Where are you from?  I’m from New Jersey. 
bob - WRPL668

On 4/14/2022 at 9:49 AM, WRPL668 said:

Fun anit it?

bob. WRPL668

You do have another option. Yes you can try for your Ham Tech Class license.

On the radio side there are some commercial grade radios that are certified for Part 95, GMRS, and also can be programmed for the Ham 70cm band as well. This gives you the option to use either GMRS or Ham using just one radio. Some of the commercial radios are fairly reasonable in price buying used. The other advantage is they tend to perform better that the cheaper Chinese radios. The most important measure is the sensitivity of the receiver and how well it rejects out of band or off frequency signals. 

Some of ones I own that work well are all Kenwood models. All of the following have Part 95 certifications and will accept out of band frequencies for Ham use. The programming software will show a warning when entering the out of band frequency but will accept it non the less. I've programmed in Ham repeaters down to 440MHz and the radios will operate just fine.

TK-370G

https://www.manasrekha.com/pdf/TK-270G-370G.pdf

TK-3140

https://kenwoodcommunications.co.uk/files/file/comms/uk/brochures/analogue/handhelds/temp/TK2140_3140E_web_V3.pdf

TK-3170

http://www.swscomm.com/kenwood/TK-2170_3170.pdf

TK-3173

http://www.swscomm.com/kenwood/TK-3173.pdf

TK-3180

https://pdfs.kenwoodproducts.com/10/TK-2180&3180Brochure.pdf

There are some combination analog/digital radios but they cost significantly more money and more complex to program.

Others have some good recommendations for other commercial manufactures, such as Icom and Motorola.

So far out of the above my favorite is the TK-3170/3173. They are compact, light, have plenty of channels and not difficult to program. The software is easy to find on-line. The programming cable is the exact same one used by the cheap Baofeng type radios and can use the same accessories like external speaker microphones and antenna adapters. Battery packs and charger base are easy to find.

Note the TK-3140 and TK-3180 requires a multi-pin type programming cable  and accessories, not compatible  with the Baofeng type two-pin plugs.

Wow!  You have given me a lot to take in. I’ll be reading this a few times. I do however like your idea. There is just one downfall that I see. It’s is there anyone in my area that I can chat with. Assuming I can afford the better radio an antenna that should go with it. As I’ve said before I’m a 80 year old veteran an I do have to be careful with my bucks. I will check out what you have so nice to tell me here. 
thanks

bob

Bob, you could also use your HT as a scanner to listen in on any Ham traffic. 

https://repeaterbook.com/repeaters/index.php?state_id=none

Program some local to you 2M/70cm band repeater frequencies into your radio, then scan through them to see if you receive any traffic. That will at least tell you if there is a presence out there. The mag mount antenna is a good idea too. Stick it on a cookie sheet and place it somewhere high for better odds. 

I am lucky enough to have several GMRS repeaters in the Harrisburg PA area, and at least one very active GMRS club. Plus I live near a major highways, and can hear people talking car-to-car as they pass by heading to New York. I even offer advice and help if they want it (“does anybody know what river we just went over? It must be a mile wide!” and “Where are we? What happened to I-83?” I hear those a lot). There is plenty of GMRS traffic on my radios. 

Having said that, I don’t think GMRS is necessarily the best system for just meeting and chatting with people. Ham radios are better for that (as others have mentioned) due to their greater numbers. One of the main reasons for getting a ham license is to make as many new contacts as possible (at least that’s what my Ham friends do!)

On the other hand one of the main reasons for going with GMRS is that the license covers the whole family. If the cell phones and power go out due to flooding or snow storms I can still communicate with my family members in the area, either on simplex or via a conveniently  located repeater with emergency back up power located on a nearby ridge top. And the GMRS radios make it easy to stay in contact when traveling, hiking, and kayaking. No one in my family is going to get a ham license, but they are more than willing to use a GMRS radio and my call sign when it suits them!

IMHO, Ham radios are (in most places) best if you want to talk to people in general.  GMRS is best (in most places) for communicating with specific  individuals. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm quite happy with my UV-9G that I bought last month (after the upgrades were made). It came with the programming cable, so I have been updating the radio via CHIRP to my heart's content. Yes, the antenna seemed slightly canted during installation (probably due to the antenna mold itself, not the radio), but it sits straight and works fine. I picked up a shoulder mic that I like as well. The radio and mic have found a nice home on my fishing vest when necessary.

I bought a second UV-9G, but it was defective, so the replacement should arrive today. Hopefully it will behave as well as the first one. Funny thing, the second one showed up with a headset which was not listed in the ad. Looks like I got a bonus!