Repeater number 3

WRKC935

Will be cabling up and putting repeater number 3 at the site.  This is Johnstown 625.  This repeater will be connected to the MidWest GMRS wide area radio network at all times.

We do have the Johnstown 675 and 725 on the air as well for local traffic.  If you are in this area and want to experience a wide area connected system, this is your chance.  Please realize this repeater will ALWAYS be connected to the wide area network.  So if you are just wanting to talk across town, please use the 675 repeater for those communications.

Update.  Repeater is on the air.  Fought the programming part.  Dumb laptop had a busted screen and it was the only XP machine I had there with the software.  SO I ended up connecting it to the service cart monitor.  Not a big deal, just a pain.  I have already heard someone on there doing radio checks.  If you are in the area, it's there to be used, so use it but PLEASE remember to ID your station. 

Working on the linking to MidWest GMRS.  I have the Pi loaded and I believe configured.  I am working on the interface cable.  I am using a common USB module that see's alot of use in All-Star on ham radio.  There are some differences with it and due to that I have to look at other options for the audio interfacing.  Wireline is the standard configuration, however wireline is a balanced audio path and the USB module in unbalanced input and output so I will need to interface the audio into the MTR via the 96 pin connector instead of using wireline.  Crossing balanced and unbalanced stuff has always been a pain and typically requires isolation transformers (that technically make unbalanced into balanced audio) to not end up with any and all sorts of induced noise on the signal.  I am NOT about to go through all this to have a crap noisy node on the system and my call sign attached to that.  SO you're gonna have to bear with me so it can get done right. 

Other minor issue is firewall configuration.  I am not seeing the node show up on the web site so I am unsure if it's connecting.  Is there a way to tell from the Pi?

UPDATE.

I now have the interface connected to the system and it seems to be operational.

I will be building the interface cable tomorrow evening and will be setting levels with the service monitor on Friday to get this done. 

I am not even good enough at Linux to call myself a noob.  But the guy that owns the tower has been a Linux admin since 99 and has ALLStar nodes of a single 'thin client' running 4 Allstar interfaces so he was able to assist.  I had created some additional hurdles for myself by locking down the firewall to the specific port needed to connect which wouldn't allow the software to download and install at all.  Once I realized what was going on I opened up the traffic and it started running.  It's not that I am worried about someone coming in the Pi from outside and getting back to the Internet,,, but I DO have other networks that are routable on the subnet that the Pi is on and those need secured, if for nothing else my own piece of mind. 

I will be working out the firewall config to block most traffic from the network the Pi is on back around to my other stuff.  But, I am on and wil be on the air with it by Sunday I hope.

On 4/13/2022 at 11:11 PM, WRKC935 said:

UPDATE.

I now have the interface connected to the system and it seems to be operational...

...am on and wil be on the air with it by Sunday I hope.

The Midwest GMRS link is great news.

Just a "heads up".  I've heard 625 gets more interference from monitors and intercoms than the other frequencies.  So far everything seems to be working great though. 

Thanks again

UPDATE.  Repeater is on the air and linked.  Had some issues to work out with the CM108 interface.  But once I figured it out it went pretty smooth.

Gonna do a write up on what needs to be set with using a CM108 and the config files for it and getting the audio coming out of a radio to a correct level fro the microphone input.