New to gmrs

Wolf1

I am new to this so can some one please help me. I have a btech 50watt here as my base station. I am using and ed fong gmrs antenna. I am trying to hit a repeater 8 miles away. I programmed the radio with the specific repeater tone and I am not getting any thing. I don't know what I am doing wrong.

Before you programmed the repeater tone did you hear it when someone else used it?

I always recommend leaving the receive tone unprogrammed at first. That way you’ll hear everything on that frequency. 
Then concentrate on getting the transmit configuration right. 
It’s possible to have the transmit right and still not hear anything until someone responds. 

How are you testing your settings?

Do you have a friend who can go half a block away and listen on a different receiver set to receive on the repeater frequency to see if you’re getting through?

8 hours ago, Wolf1 said:

I am new to this so can some one please help me. I have a btech 50watt here as my base station. I am using and ed fong gmrs antenna. I am trying to hit a repeater 8 miles away. I programmed the radio with the specific repeater tone and I am not getting any thing. I don't know what I am doing wrong.

It may sound like a silly question, but do you know that the repeater is still active? It is not uncommon to see a listing for a repeater that is either not there, or is programmed differently than stated. Are you able to hear other users on the repeater?

3 hours ago, Wolf1 said:

As far as I know. I asked permission to use it and they said yes. I have not heard any activity.

3 hours ago, Wolf1 said:

The repeater tone has the same output and input tone, that's what the owner posted. According to btech i shouldn't have to worry about offset. 

Not hearing any activity isn't necessarily an indicator of the repeater being offline, though not getting some kind of response from the repeater is less of a good sign (though not indicative, either, depending on repeater settings). sometimes there just isn't any traffic, though.

That said, while you don't have to worry about PROGRAMMING offset, you do have to at least make sure to use the correct channel that has the offset programmed. GMRSXX are the simplex channels (no offset), while REPTXX are intended for repeaters, with the +5.0mhz offset preprogrammed...if you're already on track on this aspect, feel free to disregard.