Noob question - UV-5G radio not receiving Tx, but able to receive repeater acknowledgment

dconley32825

Question

New here - call sign obtained last week. I have 4 Baofeng UV-5G radios. I used the map to find an open repeater system in my area. I used CHIRP to program all 4 with the same info:

Preprogrammed channel 29

Freq: 462.700
TQSL tone 103.5

I am able to reach the repeater with all 4 radios. I did a radio check, am I reaching the tower. Someone confirmed they are able to read me. I also hear the kerchunk from the tower on all 4. 
When I transmit from one radio, the other 3 do not pick up my Tx, but they do get the tower kerchunk, and other call signs Tx. 

Question: am I doing something wrong? Why don’t the other 3 radios pick up my Tx from the 4th radio?
Thanks in advance for your help with this new guy!

4 answers to this question

2 minutes ago, dconley32825 said:

New here - call sign obtained last week. I have 4 Baofeng UV-5G radios. I used the map to find an open repeater system in my area. I used CHIRP to program all 4 with the same info:

Preprogrammed channel 29

Freq: 462.700
TQSL tone 103.5

I am able to reach the repeater with all 4 radios. I did a radio check, am I reaching the tower. Someone confirmed they are able to read me. I also hear the kerchunk from the tower on all 4. 
When I transmit from one radio, the other 3 do not pick up my Tx, but they do get the tower kerchunk, and other call signs Tx. 

Question: am I doing something wrong? Why don’t the other 3 radios pick up my Tx from the 4th radio?
Thanks in advance for your help with this new guy!

Your other three radios would only receive from the repeater; they don’t receive on the frequency you’re transmitting on. 
Now if you mean why don’t they receive from the repeater when you’re transmitting to the repeater from within the same room, you’re receivers are doing something called “desense” which is when they are swamped by a nearby transmission (even at a slightly different frequency) and thus cannot hear the repeater. 
Give one of them to a friend and have him travel half a block away and I bet all three will hear the repeater. 

A word about tone settings in CHIRP. Tone means the transmitter transmits the selected tone when the PTT is activated. TQSL means the transmitter transmits the selected tone and the receiver listens for a tone to operate. Unless the listing for the repeater lists both a transmit and receive tone, you should always select TONE and not TQSL.