CHIRP Repeater Setup

back4more70

Question

Hi all, I am trying to setup a repeater connection in CHIRP using my Baofeng UV-9G, but I am not able to pick it up from my other radio. Please check if this looks correct?

repeater 462.550 MHz FM, input tone 74.4, output tone 74.4

CHIRP Freq: 462.550000, Tone Mode: TSQL, ToneSql: 74.4, Duplex: +, Offset: 5.000000, Mode: FM, Power: High, all other fields empty

Thank you!

9 answers to this question

Are you hearing anything back on the uv9g, that would indicate you're getting into the repeater (a static burst, beep, etc)? I don't see anything in the settings you mentioned that stands out as 'off'.

If yore getting into the repeater, is the second radio in the same room with you? It's possible that the strong signal (even a few mhz off) is overloading the receiver of the other radio so it doesn't hear the audio coming back from the repeater, though you may hear the repeater key up.

If the answer to the first question is no, are you sure the repeater is still active, the tone hasnt changed, and that you're within transmit range?

2 hours ago, wayoverthere said:

Are you hearing anything back on the uv9g, that would indicate you're getting into the repeater (a static burst, beep, etc)? I don't see anything in the settings you mentioned that stands out as 'off'.

If yore getting into the repeater, is the second radio in the same room with you? It's possible that the strong signal (even a few mhz off) is overloading the receiver of the other radio so it doesn't hear the audio coming back from the repeater, though you may hear the repeater key up.

If the answer to the first question is no, are you sure the repeater is still active, the tone hasnt changed, and that you're within transmit range?

I do hear a short static burst back on the radio, but that radio is only a few feet away.  I will have my wife monitor it upstairs instead.  Good points.

2 hours ago, BoxCar said:

Unless the receive tone of 74.4 is specifically listed for the repeater change the tone mode from TQSL to TONE. That will transmit a tone only but not require a tone for receive.

The repeater spec shows an input and output tone of 74.4, I think this means that a tone is required for RX and TX?  I thought TSQL was the best option based on the CHIRP guide I saw online.

One more thing I didn't consider: perhaps I am too distant?  My UV-9G has a Nagoya NA-771G antenna, but I am also trying from the ground floor of my house, and there probably is poor line of sight and also obstructions.  I'll try again at a better (higher, clearer) location.  Thanks for the ideas everyone!

15 minutes ago, back4more70 said:

One more thing I didn't consider: perhaps I am too distant?  My UV-9G has a Nagoya NA-771G antenna, but I am also trying from the ground floor of my house, and there probably is poor line of sight and also obstructions.  I'll try again at a better (higher, clearer) location.  Thanks for the ideas everyone!

Yeah, handheld indoors isn't ideal. I can hit some local repeaters on the stock antennas from outside, but indoors is no go on all except one a couple miles away.  Maybe try outside with the other radio upstairs.

That burst back is a good sign you're likely opening the repeater.

20 minutes ago, back4more70 said:

The repeater spec shows an input and output tone of 74.4, I think this means that a tone is required for RX and TX?  I thought TSQL was the best option based on the CHIRP guide I saw online.

The receive tone (from the repeater back to your radio) is never required.  You can configure your radio to "Tone" mode (TX tone only) and it will work just fine.

The advantage to using a RX tone (assuming that the repeater is transmitting one!) is that you will *only* hear traffic that matches that tone.

Here's an example.  Keep in mind that the repeater output frequencies are shared with simplex users, including FRS users.  If the kids next door are talking on 462.550 on their little bubble-pack HTs and either not using a tone, or using a different tone (say 110.9) then if you don't have the RX tone set on your radio you will hear them.  If you DO have it set, you won't.

Hopefully that makes sense

34 minutes ago, wrci350 said:

The receive tone (from the repeater back to your radio) is never required.  You can configure your radio to "Tone" mode (TX tone only) and it will work just fine.

The advantage to using a RX tone (assuming that the repeater is transmitting one!) is that you will *only* hear traffic that matches that tone

Good point to mention. I like to compare Rx tones to a filter, where you'll only hear signals with a matching tone. The same goes with repeaters, they have the filter on what they hear, and only hear you if you use the matching tone for the filter.