Radioddity DB20-G / Retevis RA25 Scanning

back4more70

Question

I found a great deal on a Retevis RA25, but for those of you that have experience with this or the DB20-G, can it do the following?  I would like the ability to tune/scan one channel to GMRS channels, and another to local police/fire for my listening interest. My handheld Baofeng UV-9G can do this easily, can the mobile radios I mentioned also do this?

9 answers to this question

1 hour ago, back4more70 said:

I found a great deal on a Retevis RA25, but for those of you that have experience with this or the DB20-G, can it do the following?  I would like the ability to tune/scan one channel to GMRS channels, and another to local police/fire for my listening interest. My handheld Baofeng UV-9G can do this easily, can the mobile radios I mentioned also do this?

If your local public safety is with the 136-174 or 400-470 (or 480, I forget the max offhand) range, it CAN scan through them.

That said, my at779uv (another of the triplets) doesn't appear to fully dual receive; when I put it into scan, it appears to disable the b side while a side is scanning. It can, however, watch 2 channels at once. I usually have one side on a local repeater, and the other on channel 20.

5 minutes ago, back4more70 said:

Very cool, the local stuff I listen to is generally 150-160 MHz. Thank you for the answer.

You bet. I forget offhand if it requires unlocking to add that range, and it won't decode anything digital, but if the uv9g is receiving it just fine, it isn't digital.

If you DO have to unlock to be able to scan those channels (been a bit since I did that part of the setup), I'll suggest using the option to disable TX on those channels (hit the >> for the individual channel(s) in the software to get into individual channel settings) to prevent any accidental key ups. You can still turn that setting off in the menu if an appropriate situation ever arises.

1 hour ago, wayoverthere said:

I'll suggest using the option to disable TX on those channels (hit the >> for the individual channel(s) in the software to get into individual channel settings) to prevent any accidental key ups

Great tip, I was just browsing the software (which I tend to do before purchasing anything, maybe I'm a nerd) and I think I won't have any issues.

9 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

Be aware that the Radioddity DB-20G and the Anytone AT-779UV can use each others programming software and code plugs interchangeably.

But the Retevis Ra-25 apparently must use its own programming software and code plugs generated from its software.

Yep, I don't think that will present an issue, I got very familiar with the Retevis software yesterday :)

On 5/30/2022 at 11:07 PM, MichaelLAX said:

Be aware that the Radioddity DB-20G and the Anytone AT-779UV can use each others programming software and code plugs interchangeably.

But the Retevis Ra-25 apparently must use its own programming software and code plugs generated from its software.

Turns out the software is pretty easy to figure out. Not as easy as CHIRP, but acceptable.

IMG_2893.jpg