kg1000g?

frankinshine

Question

i am new to GMRS and radios like this so i am struggling with "am i doing this right?"

started with radio,WOUXAN KG1000G,  and only antenna i could get with it at the time was a tram 1173 450-470mgz?

i thought it was in the range for gmrs until i put it on the swr meter.  over 4. this antenna has two sections so i tried 

tuning it by cutting it. wasn't sure if to cut top and bottom but i did because cutting the bottom helped simplex but not a repeater channel.

i cut the top and the repeater channel swr improved.  now they are not the same length should they be?

i got down to 1.39 and every time i cut it got better so the last cut went the wrong way, now its 1.59 swr. on all channels.

the power peaked out at 35 watts and also went down to 31.9 watts on surecom 102 meter.

how much power should i get out of it?

is this safe or can i get antenna rods to replace lower section?

OR is the wrong antenna??????

thanks in advance because i not too sure how to use this website either?

WRPV210 

Frank

2 answers to this question

3 hours ago, frankinshine said:

i am new to GMRS and radios like this so i am struggling with "am i doing this right?"

started with radio,WOUXAN KG1000G,  and only antenna i could get with it at the time was a tram 1173 450-470mgz?

i thought it was in the range for gmrs until i put it on the swr meter.  over 4. this antenna has two sections so i tried 

tuning it by cutting it. wasn't sure if to cut top and bottom but i did because cutting the bottom helped simplex but not a repeater channel.

i cut the top and the repeater channel swr improved.  now they are not the same length should they be?

i got down to 1.39 and every time i cut it got better so the last cut went the wrong way, now its 1.59 swr. on all channels.

the power peaked out at 35 watts and also went down to 31.9 watts on surecom 102 meter.

WRPV210 

Frank

Although 1.39 is better, 1.59 is a low enough SWR that you can use the antenna without fear of damage to your radio.  Based on reports here the Surecom 102 is notorious for being inaccurate for its power output readings, but as long as it’s measuring a near minima for SWR it’s somewhat useful.  I would just use that antenna and enjoy it. You can go broke and crazy chasing low SWR without making a real world difference in range.

5 hours ago, Sshannon said:

Although 1.39 is better, 1.59 is a low enough SWR that you can use the antenna without fear of damage to your radio.  Based on reports here the Surecom 102 is notorious for being inaccurate for its power output readings, but as long as it’s measuring a near minima for SWR it’s somewhat useful.  I would just use that antenna and enjoy it. You can go broke and crazy chasing low SWR without making a real world difference in range.

Thank you so much i feel better now. 

frank

9 hours ago, frankinshine said:

WRPV210 

Frank