Retevis RA25 NC feature

back4more70

Question

Hi all, I am enjoying my new Retevis RA25. It has a rather steep learning curve, but I'm getting it figured out (manually programming, no less).  Can anyone describe the NC (noise cancelling?) feature?  I believe the Radioddity DB20-G has the same feature, I just can't find any documentation on how it works.  Thanks!

5 answers to this question

Greetings,

I am a fairly new owner of a RA25 as well.  Unfortunately I don't know anything about the NC feature, so I will be monitoring the responses to see if there is something I may have overlooked in my programming.  My question is why are you manually programming?  My RA25 came with the programming cable, and the software is a free download.  The software isn't a friendly as CHIRP, but it does work and it make downloading new programming to the radio take less than a minute.

Eric 

IIRC - and I could be wrong because I donated mine a while back and I'm going by memory.. The noise cancelling is very similar to (if not the exact same) as the "compander" function on other radios.  In order for it to do any good, it has to be enabled on both radios - and then it reduces a little background static.. BUT, if you have it enabled, you may sound 'weird' to people that dont have that feature on their radio, and they will all sound weird to you.

Of course the user-manual is completely useless..

2 hours ago, WRQH833 said:

My question is why are you manually programming?  My RA25 came with the programming cable, and the software is a free download.

Lucky haha.  Mine did not come with the programming cable.  I have one on order, but I figured I should learn how to manually program it just in case when I use it "in the field."

43 minutes ago, OffRoaderX said:

IIRC - and I could be wrong because I donated mine a while back and I'm going by memory.. The noise cancelling is very similar to (if not the exact same) as the "compander" function on other radios.  In order for it to do any good, it has to be enabled on both radios - and then it reduces a little background static.. BUT, if you have it enabled, you may sound 'weird' to people that dont have that feature on their radio, and they will all sound weird to you.

Of course the user-manual is completely useless..

Yep, the manual blows.  I also have a compander function right next to the NC menu item, so maybe I should email Retevis for confirmation (wish me luck).  I currently have NC enabled on two rx-only channels (local law enforcement) so I don't know if it does anything, but you are likely correct that NC is related to tx more than rx.

BTW, I learned to manually program it based on some YouTube scallywag's "just in case" recommendation.  Thanks for that :)