1/4 vs 1/2

kidphc

Question

1/4 vs 1/2

So lets talk real world experiences. I live in the rolling hills of Washington D.C. Rarely, caravan with other GMRS/Family, although it does need to stay a consideration in choices.

My Landcruiser well, is just tall enough that hood mount and trunk mounted antennas are twanging a bit. i plan on mounting a nmo for a GMRS antenna ,to the back 1/3 of the roof. Should have about 9" of ground plane behind the antenna.

Has any noticed any really differences between a 1/4 and a 1/2 wave? I think the 1/2 wave should be short enough that the antenna is not whacking everything under the sun. 1/4 should extend just above the roof rack. 5/8 over 5/8 not doing it. I do have experiences with mobile antennas but most were going from a 1/4 to 5/8th over 5/8ths, so coverage was pretty drastic, especially on 2m.

Prime concern is picket fencing both on simplex and with repeaters. Hence, going to the roof on this one versus the hood and lip mounts for the other antennas.

4 answers to this question

I do not have real experience with 1/4. I do with 5/8 (BR-178-S) and 5/8 over 1/2 (BR-170-S). The longer the better, obviously. The difference is clear. The experiment we did was to put operator 1 with TK-3170 on the porch in the 1-2 story suburbia, and operator 2 is driving around on Dodge Durango with 5/8 on the roof. When the signal in either direction becomes borderline acceptable, stop and change to 5/8 over 1/2. The improvement is clearly noticeable on both ends. However, improvement is outweighed by the 31" of the BR-170. The BR-178 is only 11". The roof of Durango is exactly 6' from the ground, with another 11" I sometimes wack the ceilings in really low garages. I consider hit a hi-five from the parking structure. Also, the "-S" version helps, it is with the spring, more flexible than just a rigid whip. And 9" is a plenty for a ground plane.

2 hours ago, axorlov said:

I do not have real experience with 1/4. I do with 5/8 (BR-178-S) and 5/8 over 1/2 (BR-170-S). The longer the better, obviously. The difference is clear. The experiment we did was to put operator 1 with TK-3170 on the porch in the 1-2 story suburbia, and operator 2 is driving around on Dodge Durango with 5/8 on the roof. When the signal in either direction becomes borderline acceptable, stop and change to 5/8 over 1/2. The improvement is clearly noticeable on both ends. However, improvement is outweighed by the 31" of the BR-170. The BR-178 is only 11". The roof of Durango is exactly 6' from the ground, with another 11" I sometimes wack the ceilings in really low garages. I consider hit a hi-five from the parking structure. Also, the "-S" version helps, it is with the spring, more flexible than just a rigid whip. And 9" is a plenty for a ground plane.

Kind why i am asking. Tired at times of the song of our people, antennas twacking off of everything. I was just wondering if there was a huge difference between a 1/4 and 1/2. Barely any dbi change. But yes longer is better, that I get. Just wondering if it was worth the twanging.