New to GRMS

Guest James

Guest James

I'm new to gmrs and I'm looking for any help that I can get on how to set up my radio. I just got my license and my call sign is WRTH 855. I have what I believe is an older Midland MXT 90 that I've had for a couple of years. and I'm totally lost. any help that anyone can give me I would greatly appreciate it. I'm in the Graham North Carolina area if there's anyone around that can help me.

Guest WRTH855

Do we identify ourselves with our call sign at the beginning and end of our transmission? Is there a proper etiquette on how we should talk on the radio. I have questions about programming a repeater on my radio. The instructions that came with my Midland MTX 90 seem a little confusing. How do I find out if there's any local clubs in my area.

§ 95.1751  GMRS station identification.

Each GMRS station must be identified by transmission of its  FCC-assigned call sign at the end of transmissions and at periodic intervals during transmissions except as provided in paragraph (c) of this section. A unit number may be included after the call sign in the identification.

(a) The GMRS station call sign must be transmitted:

(1) Following a single transmission or a series of transmissions; and,

(2) After 15 minutes and at least once every 15 minutes thereafter during a series of transmissions lasting more than 15 minutes.

The only etiquette on GMRS is to speak English like a normal person and dont be a dickhead.

You can usually find local clubs through the use of your Googles machine or by monitoring your local GMRS channels to see who's out there.

It is important to understand that GMRS is not ham, and most/many people use it only for specific communication needs, like talking to their group while off-roading, talking to partners when hiking, etc.  Because of this you may not hear much when monitoring unless you are in a large population center.

32 minutes ago, OffRoaderX said:

The only etiquette on GMRS is to speak English like a normal person...

The FCC call sign is the only communication that MUST be transmitted in English (or Morse Code, but that can get annoying).

While it is obviously best to use English when communicating with stations outside your own simplex group or on someone else's repeater, GMRS users are free to use any language they prefer among their own group or on their own personally owned repeater (the repeater owner's preference) as long as the language is being used in normal conversation not being used to hide the plain meaning or as coded messages.

Since this was posted under the "New to GMRS" topic, I am simply clarifying that the etiquette comment (while logical) is not part of the FCC rules.

(I'm tempted to make a "Some People" comment here, but I'll leave that to someone else.) ?

They ^ are correct - and upon reflection I can see that I was not clear: You may speak in any language that you choose on GMRS, however the FCC says thou must sayeth your callsign in English or morse-code.

My point was speak "normal language" as in, if someone comes in spouting alpha codes or other jargon, they will likely be laughed at.  and you dont want people laughing at you your first day on GMRS.

On 6/19/2022 at 7:57 AM, Guest WRTH855 said:

Do we identify ourselves with our call sign at the beginning and end of our transmission? Is there a proper etiquette on how we should talk on the radio. [b]I have questions about programming a repeater on my radio.[/b] The instructions that came with my Midland MTX 90 seem a little confusing. How do I find out if there's any local clubs in my area.

MXT90 does not have repeater channels built in.  I believe that starts with the MXT115/275 on ward.  The 90 is like a car mounted HT. 

On 6/19/2022 at 10:57 AM, Guest WRTH855 said:

Do we identify ourselves with our call sign at the beginning and end of our transmission? Is there a proper etiquette on how we should talk on the radio. I have questions about programming a repeater on my radio. The instructions that came with my Midland MTX 90 seem a little confusing. How do I find out if there's any local clubs in my area.

The FCC rules for GMRS are accessible at https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-47/chapter-I/subchapter-D/part-95/subpart-E The entries regarding ID are...

§ 95.1751 GMRS station identification.

Each GMRS station must be identified by transmission of its FCC-assigned call sign at the end of transmissions and at periodic intervals during transmissions except as provided in paragraph (c) of this section. A unit number may be included after the call sign in the identification.

(a) The GMRS station call sign must be transmitted:

(1) Following a single transmission or a series of transmissions; and,

(2) After 15 minutes and at least once every 15 minutes thereafter during a series of transmissions lasting more than 15 minutes.

(b) The call sign must be transmitted using voice in the English language or international Morse code telegraphy using an audible tone.

{side note: I think Part 97 [Amateur Radio] requires ID every 10 minutes}

As for the MXT-90... I can't find an online manual, not even at Midland's web-site. Based upon FCC records, it was released 6 years ago. It is 5W output and only operates on the 462.xxx frequencies using Narrow FM (deduced from the 11K emission mode in a 12.5K bandwidth; GMRS main frequencies are wide FM, often 16K emission mode in a 20K bandwidth). This (2016 release) predates the FCC redefinition of FRS vs GMRS. Since it doesn't operate on 467.xxx it neither covers the (formerly) FRS-only interstitials (which are limited to 0.5W) nor does it cover the GMRS repeater input channels.

So... Don't bother looking for repeaters.