Retevis RB27 Expansion

WRTE516

Question

8 answers to this question

4 hours ago, gortex2 said:

Sell it and buy one in the ham band ? 

These days, that may not be viable... Even through my Anytone 878 has a drop-down in the editor config to toggle from between Amateur keypad programmable and "business" computer programming only mode, it doesn't unlock the business band Tx. I'd found some instructions about a mystical power-on key-press sequence but the firmware appears to have been revised to block that too...

{Side note: looking at the RB27 on Amazon, they didn't even have the decency to label the repeater channels with the corresponding simplex channels, nor to use extended (23-30) numbering. Really -- the display shows Rptr 8 -- which maps to GMRS 22 or 30 in the linear scheme in FCC rules}

2 hours ago, KAF6045 said:

These days, that may not be viable... Even through my Anytone 878 has a drop-down in the editor config to toggle from between Amateur keypad programmable and "business" computer programming only mode, it doesn't unlock the business band Tx. I'd found some instructions about a mystical power-on key-press sequence but the firmware appears to have been revised to block that too...

{Side note: looking at the RB27 on Amazon, they didn't even have the decency to label the repeater channels with the corresponding simplex channels, nor to use extended (23-30) numbering. Really -- the display shows Rptr 8 -- which maps to GMRS 22 or 30 in the linear scheme in FCC rules}

After programming and Wondering why I could not hear myself on another radio I realized the channels 1-30 can not be edited (fq) 30 and above can be. It's a mess but it is an awesome sounding radio. That was the main purpose for my purchase was the audio level and quality. I'll deal with the programming. I also got one of the RT29s (10 watts) and it is a nice radio but a pita to program.

7 minutes ago, WRTE516 said:

That's very Sad Ham of you.

Actually not so much. Hear me out. . .

What I've found with my CCR ham radios is they have power-on-key-press actions to "open up" (MARS mod) the radios. I have several Mirkit (Baofeng) HTs and a couple of Anytone AT-779UV II mobiles and all either were already (Baofeng) or were easily opened up. It seams the FCC is harder on the Part 95e certification that on the ham certifications. So, buying a ham version of the radio and doing the MARS mod might be the way to go.

JG

22 hours ago, jgillaspy said:

Actually not so much. Hear me out. . .

What I've found with my CCR ham radios is they have power-on-key-press actions to "open up" (MARS mod) the radios. I have several Mirkit (Baofeng) HTs and a couple of Anytone AT-779UV II mobiles and all either were already (Baofeng) or were easily opened up. It seams the FCC is harder on the Part 95e certification that on the ham certifications. So, buying a ham version of the radio and doing the MARS mod might be the way to go.

JG

To my knowledge this radio is not available in a ham version. This radios Rx and Tx is leaps and bounds better than some of my Yaesu and Icom HTs. it has better audio than my XTS5000/2500. I was under the assumption is it is a ham with Tx locked because I can still Rx everything.

8 minutes ago, WRTE516 said:

To my knowledge this radio is not available in a ham version. This radios Rx and Tx is leaps and bounds better than some of my Yaesu and Icom HTs. it has better audio than my XTS5000/2500. I was under the assumption is it is a ham with Tx locked because I can still Rx everything.

Heh... For the most part, receive is free. It's transmit that costs.

{"most part" as there is still the matter of demodulating a signal, especially if not FM. Ancient Kenwood F6A has a documented receive range of 0.1MHz to 1.3GHz [less Cellular band], with support to demodulate AM, SSB, FM, and CW}