Repeater Connection Question

WRTP691

Question

New user here and I am trying to jump on a local repeater. I don't seem to be getting any response from the repeater so it's either down or I don't have my programming correct. Can someone take a look at my settings and let me know if I made a mistake? I have attached a screenshot of my settings in CHIRP. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Radio: BTECH GMRSv2

Repeter: https://mygmrs.com/repeater/5364

ChirpSettings.png

8 answers to this question

I'm not seeing anything that stands out as an issue, though I'm looking on a phone screen.

Are you getting some indication that the radio is indeed transmitting on channel 31? The v2 should be able to create some new tx channels, but I might try manually programming the tone via the menu in slot 30 (rept22)...t-ctcs should be the menu item you want. The v1 and 50x1 did not allow new tx channels, and a firmware glitch preventing tx is a distant possibility.

That aside, the description looks like it's a rather short range setup, and may be up or down sporadically....it being offline temporarily is entirely possible

On 7/14/2022 at 11:59 AM, WRTP691 said:

I was able to figure it out with the help of another user. It seems CHIRP was pulling in the settings from my radio wrong and populating all the fields. We were able to reformat it to only include the necessary fields. Thank you everyone for your replies.

did you ever have any receive problems...i cannot get any receive out of my btech gmrs v2...sent it back and got a 2nd one...still same problems...just curious how you fixed yours

Brian

16 minutes ago, WRNQ656 said:

did you ever have any receive problems...i cannot get any receive out of my btech gmrs v2...sent it back and got a 2nd one...still same problems...just curious how you fixed yours

Brian

My first step would be to just verify simplex operation with another radio (got somebody nearby with bubble pack FRS units?) Low power, no TONE of any type. If you can hear them on each segment (1-7 simplex GMRS interstitials, 8-14 0.5W NFM FRS interstitials, 15-22 simplex GMRS main channels) you'll have verified that the radio does receive.

Next step would be to set a CTCSS tone on each unit (at least on the channels used in each segment). Note bubble-pack radios automatically are CTCSS (TSQL) -- if you set the BTech to TONE only, they should still hear your radio, and since you aren't using a receive tone you should hear them. Make sure you have the same tone (bubble packs, and even my MXT115 mobile use a sequential number for tones, so you have to cross reference the manual to find the actual tone frequency).

Third step is to set the BTech to TSQL with the same tones. You should still hear them, and they should hear you. Then have them turn OFF the tone on their end -- they should hear you (since they aren't using a tone to open squelch) but you should not hear them (as they aren't sending the tone you want to hear).

That should verify you can set everything in a working mode -- leaving the problem in the repeater channel programming. (The V1 model allowed one to program receive only channels, but required you to modify channels 23-30 for specific repeaters). My V2 (nominally 5W vs the 2W V1) tends to only run around 3W, barely above the V1 output (which registered high on my power-meter at near 2.5W).