BTECH GMRS 20V2 radio

WRQK522

So BTECH has added another GMRS mobile radio. It’s 20V2 20 watt radio. The 20V2 has a IP67 rating. All the control is in the mic. much like Midlands MXT275 . Supposed to have 20 watt power output. The 20V2 has 200 customizable channels. NOAA , repeater capable . Over 390 tones it’s also Vox capable. The 20V2 also has a K1 jack so you can use the same accessories as the BTECH hand held units . The mic. is also IP67 rated .
One other thing not mentioned about the 20V2 GMRS radio because it is vox capable and has a K1 as jack . It can be used with repeater controller’s such as SURECOM SR-112 or Argent Data Systems ADS-SR1 simplex repeater.
Most mobile radios are not compatible with the simplex repeater. So you are limited hand held units. With only 5watts . With the 20V2 GMRS radio you have Vox and a K1 jack . So I would assume with a little experimenting you could make it compatible with the Surcom or the ADS-SR1 and build a , 20watt simplex repeater.
So I ordered one today. I’m not going to use my 20V2 for that I’m going to make mine a field portable/backpack radio . That way I have a more powerful radio for base camp. When not using that way it’s going to be in the car. If I like the radio well enough and it works good . I may buy a second 20V2 then build a simplex repeater/parrot. I have a place to put it that 20 watts of power topped with a good antenna. Will be able to reach my brother from my base station.
Base to repeater / repeater to brother then bother hand held to repeater . Then repeater to base . So I will let everyone know about my problems with the radio and then I will let everyone know how my pack radio project work with the 20V2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This appears to be a rebranded Anysecu WP-9900, which is a dual band radio 136-174/400-480 mHz.

I imagine this Baofeng Tech model has different firmware in order to restrict transmit to the GMRS channels.

I bought an Anysecu WP-9900 for $129. It is ok, but it does not have the front end rejection of better quality radios. What this means is that it is subject to interference as you drive around, and go by LED billboards and signs, etc.

The audio from the speakermic is a bit weak when running at highway speeds. I got this for my wife’s car, which is a newer 2020 model, and it can be mounted under the seat. But if it was in my Xterra, which is running aggressive 33” tires, I imagine it would be very difficult to hear the audio from the speakermic at highway speeds, due to the interior noise from the tires.

So I am not condemning this radio, but you could have full transmit capabilities for $20 less, if you are inclined to do that sort of thing.

Well today I am supposed to receive my 20V2 20watt GMRS radio today . It’s supposed to go to the post office box . I hope I get today I have had problems when I order from BTECH and then the order comes from AMAZON. Some how the transfer from UPS to USPS the item gets lost.
In any case if I get the 20V2 I will let everyone know my thoughts on it .

Well today I am supposed to receive my 20V2 20watt GMRS radio today . It’s supposed to go to the post office box . I hope I get today I have had problems when I order from BTECH and then the order comes from AMAZON. Some how the transfer from UPS to USPS the item gets lost.
In any case if I get the 20V2 I will let everyone know my thoughts on it .

BTech announced another GMRS HT yesterday. Apparently it supports HT to HT texting, gps and bluetooth ( for programming with a phone app).

The Garmin Rino GPS units have been doing this for over a decade. I am surprised it took a radio company so long. It looks slick but I’m not sure I want to carry my phone in the back country to send a text message. Would like to try using one with some Rino’s to see if they share data.

Sorry I didn’t mean to post the same thing twice . Well I got the 20V2 yesterday. I did some testing. Power was at around 17 watts high and on low 7 watts. Checked SWR with a couple antenna’s I have 1:01 . I figured that . So then with some connectors I have I did some more testing because most of the time this radio is going to be backpack radio. So I needed to see what kind of transmission power lose I was going to have using a UHF barrel connector or the UHF L connector. Tried some pigtails etc. my 17 watts dropped to 15 watts . I figured that would happen. Once I get the power connectors and wire I need for the battery I’m going to use in the 20v2 build . I will do more transmit power testing. Another thing I wanted to say was that on channel 1-7 the 20V2 will only let me transmit on low power .
Thought that you could transmit on high on channel’s 1-7 . Maybe that’s just on hand helds . Not sure . Anyway I set the 20V2 up in the car so today I’m going to test it out . See how it sounds away from the base then I’m going to test transmit power in the car .

Power limit on the original GMRS interstitials is 5W (at a time when most HTs were 2W ? ).

§ 95.1767 GMRS transmitting power limits.

This section contains transmitting power limits for GMRS stations. The maximum transmitting power depends on which channels are being used and the type of station.

(a) 462/467 MHz main channels. The limits in this paragraph apply to stations transmitting on any of the 462 MHz main channels or any of the 467 MHz main channels. Each GMRS transmitter type must be capable of operating within the allowable power range. GMRS licensees are responsible for ensuring that their GMRS stations operate in compliance with these limits.

(1) The transmitter output power of mobile, repeater and base stations must not exceed 50 Watts.

(2) The transmitter output power of fixed stations must not exceed 15 Watts.

(b) 462 MHz interstitial channels. The effective radiated power (ERP) of mobile, hand-held portable and base stations transmitting on the 462 MHz interstitial channels must not exceed 5 Watts.

(c) 467 MHz interstitial channels. The effective radiated power (ERP) of hand-held portable units transmitting on the 467 MHz interstitial channels must not exceed 0.5 Watt. Each GMRS transmitter type capable of transmitting on these channels must be designed such that the ERP does not exceed 0.5 Watt.

Note that the regulations specify ERP for the interstitial channels. That means 5W going into a "gain" antenna may be in violation (I'm presuming they are measuring for a half-wave dipole or quarter-wave vertical with good ground, and not isotropic; dipole is already something like 2dB above isotropic in the main beam direction -- part 95 A provides a definition for EIRP, which is explicitly isotropic).

You have to remember that the interstitial channels OVERLAP with the main channels. Power restrictions apply to reduce interference with the main channels (FRS service is narrowband to further reduce interference chances -- and with the reorganization giving GMRS access to the 467MHz interstitials, that group is 0.5W NFM).

467 MHz interstitial channels. Only hand-held portable units may transmit on these 7 channels. The channel center frequencies are: 467.5625, 467.5875, 467.6125, 467.6375, 467.6625, 467.6875, and 467.7125 MHz.

Interstitial channels. The authorized bandwidth is 20 kHz for GMRS transmitters operating on any of the 462 MHz interstitial channels (see § 95.1763(b)) and is 12.5 kHz for GMRS transmitters operating on any of the 467 MHz interstitial channels (see § 95.1763(d)).

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, WSAA635 said:

I have the Anysecu WP-9900. I cannot recommend it. Mostly because the transmit audio is very poor. I took the usual step of drilling out the microphone hole and making sure the mic element wasn't blocked. It improved somewhat, but even so it's not that great.