Unable to run the RT97 software. I keep getting a serial port failed error.

WRFH675

Question

I've tried using three different ports on my computer, as well as changing the communication port in the software settings under Set. No matter what I do, when I try to read from radio, it keeps popping up the error. I've used other software for other radios just fine on this computer. Any ideas?

10 answers to this question

Using the cable that came with the RT97?

Just for fun, try UNinstalling, then installing the software again, but run the installer "As Administrator", then after installing when you run the programming software, run it also "As Administrator" and see if that makes any difference.

and.. See if you can see the cable in Device Manager - should show up under USB/Serial Devices (IIRC).. make sure its not showing any errors..

.... or... you might need to try a newer OR older driver for the cable depending on what version of Windows you are using.

Windows has a RUN option on compressed files. Don't use it. Create a Drives folder in Document, move the ZIP/RAR file there and de-compress it there, then run the install from the de-compressed file.  I'm a big fan of faster and found this out the hard way!

On 8/25/2022 at 7:21 AM, WRFH675 said:

I got it working. Thanks everyone

I am having significant difficulty with the USB driver.  My PC is recognizing the port but is labeling the port "CH340".  I've tried all of the instructions in this thread and elsewhere and can't get the programming software to read from the repeater.  Any more ideas from anyone?

On 12/24/2022 at 8:28 AM, jhouse said:

I am having significant difficulty with the USB driver.  My PC is recognizing the port but is labeling the port "CH340".  I've tried all of the instructions in this thread and elsewhere and can't get the programming software to read from the repeater.  Any more ideas from anyone?

I received a response from Retevis support with this link https://www.retevis.com/rt97-portable-gmrs-repeater-mobile-repeater-us

At that link, under the support tab there is a link to a Universal USB driver and a Win11 USB driver.  Neither worked for me and the port the repeater is plugged into reflects the device as "CH340".  Does anyone have any more ideas?