deleted

back4more70

Can anyone recommend an HT that can receive only 120 to 130 MHz?  I live across the street from an airport and I enjoy listening to the traffic, but none of my radios go this low and I get tired of relying on the internet broadcast sites.  Maybe a HT scanner?

--------------------------------------

Never mind, I found a $4 app for my phone hahaha

You may have changed the thread title, but you can't hide... ?

The main thing is that Air band is AM -- so unless the HT can receive AM it is unlikely to include that frequency range (which is actually something like 118-136MHz; MilAir is somewhere in the upper 300/lower 400MHz range, also AM mode).

FM-mode-only units won't be candidates -- not even dedicated scanners if they only do FM.

14 hours ago, back4more70 said:

Can anyone recommend an HT that can receive only 120 to 130 MHz?  I live across the street from an airport and I enjoy listening to the traffic, but none of my radios go this low and I get tired of relying on the internet broadcast sites.  Maybe a HT scanner?

--------------------------------------

Never mind, I found a $4 app for my phone hahaha

Another inexpensive way to listen to air frequencies (or just about any other frequencies between 25MHz-1750MHz and any analog mode) is to use one of the USB SDR dongles. https://www.nooelec.com/store/sdr/sdr-receivers/nesdr-mini.html

Yaseu FTM-400 will receive AM airband. I use it quite a bit more than I thought when I'm around the airports.

Kenwood D-74, Yaesu FT5D, Icom ID-52 , Yaesu FT60, Yaesu FT70, Yaesu VX6R, and those are just a few of the amateur radios that can receive. 

Yaesu/Vertex Standard make actual airband radios you could look at as well.

37 minutes ago, tweiss3 said:

Yaseu FTM-400 will receive AM airband. I use it quite a bit more than I thought when I'm around the airports.

Kenwood D-74, Yaesu FT5D, Icom ID-52 , Yaesu FT60, Yaesu FT70, Yaesu VX6R, and those are just a few of the amateur radios that can receive. 

Yaesu/Vertex Standard make actual airband radios you could look at as well.

I'll have to check my vx7r, but I know the icom 2730a in my truck does decently receiving air band from airport a few miles away, on both the sbb1 and ca2x4sr I run it through.

1 hour ago, tweiss3 said:

I think the VX7R does, I know it will transmit 1W AM in 6m.

Checked just now, and it will tune down to the right range, and tx & receive am. Not picking up anything on airband at the moment though. That said, I'll be picking the better half up from the airport today, so I'll see what i can hear from closer in.

(6m is why I wanted it to begin with ?)

Edit: ?‍♂️ forgot the radio on my desk

9 hours ago, tweiss3 said:

Besides the discontinued TH-D74A (Rx 0.1-76MHz, 76-108MHz [broadcast WFM], 108-524MHz; FM/NFM, AM, SSB), the even older and also discontinued TH-F6A spans 0.1-824MHz, 849-869MHz, 894-1300MHz; FM, AM, SSB, CW -- though the internal ferrite bar antenna isn't the best for the HF region) also supports air band. Note: Both of those also cover mil-air range (which can be interesting if you catch a Blue Angels or similar performance team).

The (again, a discontinued model) Yaesu VX-8DR spans 0.5-999.9MHz (less cellular) FM and AM (no SSB).