Voltage Question Btech 50x1 Mobile

Cpch64

Question

A quick question in regards to voltage.  I'm in the process of setting up base station using a Btech 50x1 Radio, Astron 35M Power Supply and a Ed Fong (DBJ - UHF) antenna. The question is that I am getting different voltage readings:

Astron Power Supply Meter Showing 13.8 Volts

External Voltmeter showing 13.6 -13.7 Volts

Btech Radio Showing 14.2 Volts

Is this a problem?

Many Thanks,

6 answers to this question

Wow! 

Appreciate the quick response.

To answer your question:  I have not made it to that step yet.  I have the coax (LMR 400 coax) run up to the chimney through the ridge vent and the end is capped off until I get my straps in for mounting.  I did not wat to hit transmit until I get the antenna connected. The straps are due in tomorrow so I can report back this weekend.

Yea started of with this radio to do some testing and if all goes well this unit it will be replaced.  If it can break through this jungle (120% Humidity ;} atmosphere in Louisiana, I will be happy.

Many Thanks,

For what it's worth, my 50x1 does the same. Alinco DM-30 psu set to 13.8v, and the 50x1 shows 14.1 or 14.2. The icom 2730 that has since moved to the truck displayed spot on 13.8v.

The btech also showed a bit higher than a voltmeter connected to a couple lantern batteries in series (was going some testing)..I chalked it up to margin of error with the btech.

2 hours ago, Cpch64 said:

To answer your question:  I have not made it to that step yet.  I have the coax (LMR 400 coax) run up to the chimney through the ridge vent and the end is capped off until I get my straps in for mounting.  I did not wat to hit transmit until I get the antenna connected. The straps are due in tomorrow so I can report back this weekend.

A dummy load rated for 100W (a 50W dummy load would barely allow you to read the meter before needing to cool down) would be a help. A short (1ft coax) between radio and dummy load would let you read the voltage under transmit conditions without running an empty signal on the airwaves.