Trying to program on my gm30 Radioddity. No luck

WRUP619

Question

I just got my call sign and bought a gm30 Radioddity but when I first, tried to program on a regular repeater channel and just adding the tones and then second, tried the same thing but on a new diy channel…..but neither worked to get the repeater to beep back.   It seemed pretty straightforward so I’m confused.  It wouldn’t let me put an offset and I thought maybe it was dcs and not ctcss but it wouldn’t let me do that either.  Btw.  I’m programming by hand.  

Thank you 

6 answers to this question

8 hours ago, WRUP619 said:

I just got my call sign and bought a gm30 Radioddity but when I first, tried to program on a regular repeater channel and just adding the tones and then second, tried the same thing but on a new diy channel…..but neither worked to get the repeater to beep back.   It seemed pretty straightforward so I’m confused.  It

What do you consider a "diy" channel?

Per the manual (which seems to  prohibit cut&paste):

Channels other than CH1-CH30 can only be scanned and received...

This implies that, for repeater access, you can only configure channels 23-30 (RPT-1..RPT-8) (and Appendix D would seem to imply those are already programmed for frequency).

Interesting -- the menu system shows an entry for wide/narrow specification (but also that one can not change it for programmed channels, one would have to go to VFO mode... But can one then write the modification into channels 1-30 or are they locked to just Tone settings?). Appendix B only shows operation on 12.5kHz bandwidth, which is FRS bandwidth; true GMRS runs 20kHz bandwidth (in a channel spacing of 25kHz -- if one ignores the interstitials, otherwise channels are 12.5kHz apart -- interleaved: 15, 1, 16, 2, ..., 7, 22)

So... In summary. Concur with previous responder... But... The manual indicates that one can not modify tones while in Channel mode. So, again, one has to load the frequencies and tones using the VFO mode, and somehow save those back into the equivalent Channel (even tone scanning can only be done in VFO mode). The manual has NO example of programming channels 1-30 for any changes, nor of repeater programming -- and does not allow transmit in VFO mode, nor for channels 31+.

BEST BET: Obtain a K-style* programming cable (Wouxun, Baofeng, Retevis, may be compatible -- you need a cable with the USB<>Serial chip in the cable). Note: if it is a Prolific clone chip, you may need to downgrade the driver -- newer Prolific drivers detect clones and refuse to function with them. Download the programming software. READ the radio and save as "initial settings" so you can restore easily (though a hard reset may do the same). Try to adjust the channels, write to radio, and save for subsequent reloads/edits.

2 hours ago, KAF6045 said:

What do you consider a "diy" channel?

Per the CPS Programming Software for the GM-30, these DIY Channels (Channels 31-54) allow for "extra" repeaters on the same channels as 15-22, but with different tones:

Screen Shot 2022-09-27 at 7.51.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-27 at 7.53.54 PM.png

Perhaps it cannot be accomplished by the keyboard.

15 hours ago, KAF6045 said:

Per the manual (which seems to  prohibit cut&paste):

Channels other than CH1-CH30 can only be scanned and received...

As I recall, the original firmware of the GM-30 had this restriction, which was removed with an updated firmware: GM30_APP_20210306.bin (and 20210403 and 20210615).

I have the "clone" Pofung P15UV and this updated firmware works on the Pofung and removed this restriction.

12 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

As I recall, the original firmware of the GM-30 had this restriction, which was removed with an updated firmware: GM30_APP_20210306.bin

I could only go by the downloaded documentation...

Sounds like the newer firmware brings the GM-30 up to where the Retevis RA85 (freebies with the RT97 at the time) had been (30 "fixed", 30 "user", and supposedly no other memories)... But I couldn't get the programming to stick using an RA85 programmer download (it also didn't allow access to wide/narrow)... Retevis sent me a link to the RA685 programmer -- which is the dual-band Amateur version -- it not only corrected the base programming, but opened up the memory to 128 slots, and I was able to put GMRS repeater (my RT97) configs into those higher slots.

I found this forum post that describes how to setup the GM-30 with preprogrammed channels in the DIY range and then be able to change the Tones on the fly:

https://forums.mygmrs.com/topic/3119-radioddity-gm-30-i-can-hear-the-repeater-but-cannot-transmit-into-it/#comment-29849