Radioddity GM-30: I can hear the repeater, but cannot transmit into it

EARL5555

Question

I have the Radioddity GM-30 handheld. I set up a repeater channel carefully: the receive frequency, shift positive, 5 MHZ offset, the PL tones on both transmit and receive. I can hear traffic coming from the repeater, but cannot transmit into it, There is supposed to be an icon that says "CT" (short for CTCSS) above the top line, but it isn't showing. I emailed tech support, so hopefully I will hear back from them later. But if anyone has any thoughts on this issue, please let me know. Thank you. 

11 answers to this question

On my TD-H5 radio (same as the GM-30), the CT only shows up when I transmit. I don't have it set to use a PL tone on receive, though.

Just for grins, though, I just added a CTCSS tone on receive, and the CT shows up on receive, too.

If you're not seeing it on transmit, it may not be correctly set up. If you select <Menu><1><2>, it should show the transmit tone. If it says "off" then it's not programmed correctly.

If its' not programmed correctly, after selecting <Menu><1><2>, use the channel up/channel down keys to select the tone you want to use, the press <menu> again. You should hear "confirmed" at which point you can then click on the exit (top right) key.

12 hours ago, WyoJoe said:

On my TD-H5 radio (same as the GM-30), the CT only shows up when I transmit. I don't have it set to use a PL tone on receive, though.

Just for grins, though, I just added a CTCSS tone on receive, and the CT shows up on receive, too.

If you're not seeing it on transmit, it may not be correctly set up. If you select <Menu><1><2>, it should show the transmit tone. If it says "off" then it's not programmed correctly.

If its' not programmed correctly, after selecting <Menu><1><2>, use the channel up/channel down keys to select the tone you want to use, the press <menu> again. You should hear "confirmed" at which point you can then click on the exit (top right) key.

Thank you, WyoJoe. I will try it again. The CT only shows in VFO mode. It doesn't show in Channel mode. I will keep trying. Thanks again. 

17 hours ago, EARL5555 said:

Thank you, WyoJoe. I will try it again. The CT only shows in VFO mode. It doesn't show in Channel mode. I will keep trying. Thanks again. 

Be sure to set your tones/codes in channel mode. From what I can tell from my radios is that if you set them in VFO mode, they won't carry over onto Channel mode, and vice versa.

4 hours ago, WyoJoe said:

Be sure to set your tones/codes in channel mode. From what I can tell from my radios is that if you set them in VFO mode, they won't carry over onto Channel mode, and vice versa.

Since using your tip to update my Pofung P15UV with the Radioditty Firmware (what a great tip!!!), I cannot save to any memory channels from the keypad (that is, I must use the programming software); is this your experience with the GM-30 as well?

And indeed, when I have a CTCSS tone set for a memory channel, "CT" does appear during transmit.

Michael,

Are you trying to save a new memory channel, or to edit an existing channel? I haven't really tried creating any new channels since what I need is already configured by the computer programming application, but to see if my results are the same as yours, I'd like to know if that's what you're having trouble with.

2 hours ago, WyoJoe said:

Michael,

Are you trying to save a new memory channel, or to edit an existing channel? I haven't really tried creating any new channels since what I need is already configured by the computer programming application, but to see if my results are the same as yours, I'd like to know if that's what you're having trouble with.

Interestingly: I was not notified of your reply to me, since you did not quote me and I did not start this thread.

But I caught your response by my habit of checking "Unread Content" which of course is not as fail-safe!

I was trying to save a new memory channel.

OK, I have figured it out:

With the firmware upgrade to Radioddity 06.03.006 and using Radioddity CPS v2.06, I can now manually add a new Memory Channel from the keyboard BUT it must be Channel 55 or above and will be receive only.

With the new changes, Memories 1-30 continue to be preprogrammed AND Channels 31-54 are ONLY allowed to be GMRS Repeater channels with different CTCSS/DCS tones; leaving Channels 55 to 250 for additional Receive only Channels, which can then be manually added on the keyboard.

I had been trying to manually add a new Channel 31, but now I successfully added it as Channel 55, but again as receive only and I cannot transmit there.

Note: empty channels are skipped when manually using the Up and Down keys to scroll through existing channels.

See next message for a suitable "enter a new repeater by keyboard" workaround.

I have used the CPS software to change the Names of Channels 31-38 to:

And I can change the CTCSS or DCS tones using the keypad as I travel and find new repeaters that I want to use.

AND I used the CPS to move my existing collection of "home" repeaters to Channels 39 and above.

I am trying to program a GMRS repeater into my Radioddity GM-30.  It has a receive DPL tone of 244.  When I try to program the radio on the computer, for the Receive QT/DQT there is D244N or D244I.  Which one would I need if the Input tone is 244 DPL?  The output tone is 103.5 Hz, so I understand that.  Please help...

19 minutes ago, WRCU862 said:

I am trying to program a GMRS repeater into my Radioddity GM-30.  It has a receive DPL tone of 244.  When I try to program the radio on the computer, for the Receive QT/DQT there is D244N or D244I.  Which one would I need if the Input tone is 244 DPL?  The output tone is 103.5 Hz, so I understand that.  Please help...

If the documentation for the repeater doesn't state, you might have to try both.

The "I" is "inverted" -- not certain exactly what that means but a hypothesis is that it flips all the bits in the digital code.

5 hours ago, WRCU862 said:

The great thing about a good quality GMRS HT is that when you are unsure about hitting a repeater, you can take it with you for a drive closer to the Repeater.

Pre-Program two channels with each digital tone on the output so you can experiment further.