Vertex EVX-R70 error

WRPP686

Question

My local Amateur Radio club hooked me up with a GMRS Repeater on a local tower. However, I want to have a backup, so I purchased an EVX-R70 off eBay. I purchased the Vertex Standard programming software ver 5.0. I get a code plug error whenever I try to read or write to the repeater. Do I need a more current software version? I am not sure where to begin with a new repeater that won't read or write to.

Thanks for any suggestions.

WRPP686

9 answers to this question

The Vertex EVX-R70 is the clone of the Motorola XPR-8400 repeater, but you need to use the Vertex Standard Clone Editor software. The most recent version of that should be Version 5.5 (build 34) from around 2016. If you want to use it in Wideband mode,  you should probably use the "export" version or "emea" international version. If the repeater was updated and/or written with newer software, you could have trouble reading it with an older version of software. Vertex software is still available for download from Motorola if you have user credentials on MOL. 

What cable are you using? What version of Windows are you using it with? Can you see the cable that you're using when you go into Device Manager & look at your USB ports?  Does the radio show up as a network connection when you plug in the cable? You should get tones when you plug in (or remove) the cable from the USB port if you're set up with the right drivers.

I am using Windows 7 as the ver 5.0 software would not load on Win10. The cable shows up under Network Adapters as Vertex Radio #2 in Device Manager. Most programming cables show up as a port under Ports but not this one. (I purchased the Wide Band add on with this software.) The error I get is that this code plug version is not supported.

I guess I will go back and purchase the (build 34) software. I thought I was purchasing the latest, but after further research I also found the 5.5 version. 

On 10/5/2022 at 3:12 PM, WRPP686 said:

Well, I don't know what all the complaining was about. After installing ver 5.5 I was able to Read, Edit, Write and I am done in less than 5 minutes.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Where did you find the software? I’ve looked everywhere and can’t find it.