Why do I receive the same transmission on multiple Repeater Channel's?

Link6950

Question

I am new to radios so please bear with me. Why do I receive the same transmission on multiple repeater channel's? I am using a pair of Baofeng UV-5G's. Out of the box when I move through the repeater channels I am sometimes able to receive the same transmission on more than one repeater channel. I know repeater channels are duel band channels and share GMRS channels for receiving transmission so I expect to receive the same transmission on 2 channels. However I should not expect to receive the same transmission on 2 separate repeater channels correct? Example: When I use RPT-1 I can receive transmission on GMRS-16 and RPT-1 but send transmission only on RPT-1.

9 answers to this question

3 minutes ago, MichaelLAX said:

1) $40 radio = $40 selectivity; and

2) how close are they when you are testing them?

I have not yet tested the radios together. I noticed the potential problem while fiddling with one radio on and the other turned off. So it is other user transmissions not my own I am hearing. I guess it could be a price point problem but because I an planing to use the radios primarily for day hikes I did not want to go all in on a high price point. Thanks for the reply.

18 minutes ago, Link6950 said:

I am new to radios so please bear with me. Why do I receive the same transmission on multiple repeater channel's? I am using a pair of Baofeng UV-5G's. Out of the box when I move through the repeater channels I am sometimes able to receive the same transmission on more than one repeater channel. I know repeater channels are duel band channels and share GMRS channels for receiving transmission so I expect to receive the same transmission on 2 channels. However I should not expect to receive the same transmission on 2 separate repeater channels correct? Example: When I use RPT-1 I can receive transmission on GMRS-16 and RPT-1 but send transmission only on RPT-1.

It really depends on how those “channels“ are configured. 
A channel can refer to any combination of frequency and receive tone, so it’s possible to have numerous channels on the same frequency. 
Look and see what frequency GMRS-16 and RPT-1 receive on. I bet they’re the same and you have no tone set for one of them.
If not, then maybe the problem MichaelLAX described is right. 

2 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

It really depends on how those “channels“ are configured. 
A channel can refer to any combination of frequency and receive tone, so it’s possible to have numerous channels on the same frequency. 
Look and see what frequency GMRS-16 and RPT-1 receive on. I bet they’re the same and you have no tone set for one of them.
If not, then maybe the problem MichaelLAX described is right. 

Okay sounds like you may have put me on to something. I have not yet tried configuring the repeater channels to the repeaters I plan to use. It may be because these things are fresh out of the box and not configured properly. Thanks for the reply.

5 hours ago, Link6950 said:

Okay sounds like you may have put me on to something. I have not yet tried configuring the repeater channels to the repeaters I plan to use. It may be because these things are fresh out of the box and not configured properly. Thanks for the reply.

"Out of the box" they should be set on factory defaults. RPT-1..RPT-8 are duplex: transmit on 467MHz receive on 462MHz. Channels 15-22 are simplex, transmit&receive on 462MHz. RPT-1/15, RPT-2/16...

If you are hearing the same on RPT-1 AND 16 either someone modified the frequency of one of those channels, or you are so close to the repeater it is overloading the front-end of the receiver (but I'd expect that to be heard on 15&16 then)

If it's more a matter of you're hearing the same on rpt1 and rpt2, it'll come down to double checking what frequecies are programmed in the radio.

If they're the same,then 100% expected. If they're different, there may be more than one repeater within receive range that are linked together.

No linked gmrs machines where I am, but there's 3 ham repeaters on a network, 2 70cm and 1 2m...kind of funny when the dual scan in my truck hits 2 repeaters at different sites, and hearing the delay between them.