Repeater question

WRUT470

I’m a new member and just recently got my GMRS license.  I understand how repeaters work but my questions are:

1. If the repeater says OPEN SYSTEM do you need permission to use it? I see a tab that says request access even though both the input and output tones are shown.

2. How far can a GMRS 5W HT radio go to hit a repeater?

3. Just to be sure, I would need to input both tones to be able to hear and receive communication?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Welcome!

#1: No.. If they publish the tones, that means they want everyone to see them

#2: "It depends".. you can expect anywhere from 1/2 mile to 80 miles

#3: You only need the TX/Encode tone (the one you transmit) to use the repeater. The RX/Decode only makes it so you only hear traffic from the repeater and not kids down the street talking on simplex, etc.

Hi,  new member here also, I've programmed a couple repeaters near me that show TX and RX tones are needed however, the only way I could open/connect with one was to remove the RX tone. (Could hear the squelch(?) response from the repeater)  Why is this? Does the RX tone mute the repeater response.

Thanks

Hi,  new member here also, I've programmed a couple repeaters near me that show TX and RX tones are needed however, the only way I could open/connect with one was to remove the RX tone. (Could hear the squelch(?) response from the repeater)  Why is this? Does the RX tone mute the repeater response.

Thanks

Sometimes owners put tones on both ends do to interference from other repeaters local or distance repeaters on the same frequencies if it’s listed to put a receive tone in and tx that will be the only way to get into the repeater or hear the repeater….I do not have a receiving tone on this one so others can hear it on the frequency as far as transmit it is toned .Referring to mygmrs is your best tool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You do not need a RX Tone" in your radio but will hear other repeaters or users on that frequency. I run all my channels with csq or no ton. You only need the tone to trigger the repeater so tx on your radio. The repeater may have no hang time also which would not open up your radio after talking. None of mine are set for hang time. Mainly to eliminate users "kerchunking" and i see no reason for the hang. If in monitor mode or carrier squelch you will hear the repeater after the tone drops on 2 of them. 

12 hours ago, WRUW275 said:

Thanks

If you couldn’t hear the repeater until you removed the receive tone, chances are you had the wrong tone programmed.

A receive tone acts a little like a bandpass filter.  If you set a receive tone your squelch only opens up for transmissions that include that tone. If you remove the receive tone you receive all transmissions on that frequency, regardless of which tone they transmit. 

It’s like having three friends: Alice, Bob, and Charlie. 

Alice transmits and receives using tone A.

Bob transmits and receives using tone B.

Charlie transmits and receives using tone C.

When you want to talk to Alice, you must transmit using tone A; neither Bob nor Charlie hear you. Likewise, if you transmit using tone B, only Bob hears you. Same for Charlie; he only hears what is transmitted using tone C.

You can hear each one individually by setting your receiver to their individual tone, but if you want to hear all of them, you must leave your receiver set to no tone.

On 10/11/2022 at 5:20 PM, WRUT470 said:

I really appreciate all the help and information you guys gave me! I am just getting into GMRS so I have a lot to learn and helpful people like you make it easier!

Thanks drk1970 I will send request! 

Thank you for asking this question I am also new at this and just got my license and a Wouxun kg 935g. 

[Repeater] --  [Transmit Frequency] [Receive Frequency]

|                                  |

[Transmit Tone]           [Receive Tone]

You want to transmit on the Repeaters Input Receive Frequency 467.550 - 467.725 with the needed Receive Tone so that the Repeater will receive your transmission and then re-transmit it on the Repeaters Output Transmit Frequency 462.550 - 462.725.

Some Repeaters also add a Tone to their retransmission of your transmission, Transmit Frequency, but it is optional for users of this Repeater to set their receive tone to be able to hear the Repeater.

It's a bit confusing but your GMRS transmit frequency is set to 467.550 - 467.725 with the needed Tone, and your GMRS receive frequency is set to 462.550 - 462.725 with the Tone being optional and usually recommended to be no Tone until perhaps you are satisfied that all is working well.