Multi-Band Fiberglass Omni

WRFP399

Question

14 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Borage257 said:

tram browning 6140

Tram Browning 6140 is a sweet antenna, but only covers GMRS and 70cm (UHF LMR in other words and 70cm ham). It is not designed for VHF, ham 2M or MURS or any other frequencies. I would totally recommend it for GMRS only (and ham 70cm). It's as fool proof as it gets, and fairly short. I used one for years.

5 hours ago, WRFP399 said:

I do have some of these. I have several single band tuned to GMRS. One is running on an RT97 repeater. The others are used when backpacking.

I also have one dual band for GMRS/MURS but I was hoping for a more permanent solution.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY PERMANENT SOLUTION?

rs=w:776,h:388,cg:true (517×388) (wsimg.com)

For what it is worth. I settled on this one and have had great reports from people that have heard me using it. I tried the N9TAX and had a higher than wanted SWR so am now using that one for my scanner. It works great as a scanner antenna! However using it as a base, people had problems hearing me. The one in the link solved that problem.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134261005629?ViewItem=&item=134261005629

I am very pleased however it only covers MURS and GMRS. That said, it covers it perfectly with a flat SWR on both for the most part. The MURS band does get up to a around 1.4 - 1.6 on the Blue DOT and Green Dot frequencies. However on all GMRS and the lower MURS frequencies the SWR is 1.0. It will not transmit on the 2 meter. I mean you can but the SWR is way up over 2.5 and higher. I have mine mounted up 35 feet in a not so friendly area, (Hilly and in woods), and located in Shipshewana about 20 miles from the Elkhart repeater. Using this antenna have no problem in spite of the terrain. This antenna is said to have 3.0 gain on VHF, 5.5 gain on GMRS.

Edited by Stone
added more info

As described what you are looking for is not available. You can grab the tram UHF/VHF dual band antenna and try to tune it on the top side of the HAM stuff but it will be a sacrifice. I'd have to sweep one to see what it really looks like. Personally I run band specific antenna's at home as well as my vehicles. I would focus on the primary communications you want it for and see if it will be acceptable for other uses. If your end goal is HAM radio grab the Tram and see how it works. If its for purely GMRS then go for a UHF specific antenna.

On 10/15/2022 at 4:11 PM, WRFP399 said:

Any recommendations for a single Omni directional antenna that will work with 2M, MURS, 70cm, and GMRS? Don't want a 17 foot tall antenna either. Something 3-5 feet would be fine.

I already had a roof mounted Comet CX-333 tri-bander from Ham usage that seems to work fine with GMRS and MURS (as little that I use MURS at home).

Its not 17 feet but its over 5 feet (the one on the left).

Screen Shot 2022-10-17 at 9.57.56 AM.png

I have a Comet CA-F72GF already. Works well on GMRS but a sweep using a NanoVNA shows it is horrid down in VHF. GMRS is the primary means of communication but I want the ability to at least use the other bands if need be. I realize that may be it at a diminished capacity.  I am not looking for an antenna that has an SWR of 1:1 from 136mhz through 520 mhz.  Thank you for the suggestions so far. I saw that a Tram 1477 might also be an option.  Appears fairly wide banded and multiple reviews show it useable for both HAM bands and GMRS. 

Neither I can think of are base station antennas, but the comet 2x4sr is one of not many wideband antennas covering all 4. Can't speak to MURS for transmit (though it lists covering 140-170), but the tram 1181 is another low key and wide band mobile.

Like @gortex2i tend to either stay band specific (uhf only on the beater) or split up ham and gmrs due to type acceptance of the radios (2 antennas on the truck, ham and gmrs separate).