Still having issues with two different GMRS radios Rx/Tx.

WQZQ295

Question

I have both Wouxun/KG-935G and Baofeng UV-5G, GMRS radios.  I having issues having them talk on a programed channel.  I have the two radios.  The Wouxuns are for my wife and I and the two Baofengs are for my two children.

In Wouxun radios software Rx/Tx - CTCSS/DCS. 

1. In the software for Wouxun radios, Rx/Tx – “CTCSS/DCS”, my options are the standard 67.0 – 254.1, DN023 – DN754 and DI023 – DN754.  What does the DN and the DI mean?
  1. In the software for Wouxun radios, “SP Mute”, my options are DT, DT+DTMF and QT-DTMF.  What does the SP Mute options mean? 

Wouxun software program.  The frequencies I am having issues. 

image.thumb.png.7ebb9955ceff9f91354a6cacd705608c.png

MyGMRS.com request. Sample #1  What, does DPL mean?

image.thumb.png.805c1b15eb453a42f31308bbdeea51e9.png

MyGMRS.com request. Sample #2.

image.thumb.png.5ce539ca9e4daddb586d7ef63838b804.png

Any Help would so greatly be appreciated, thank-you!

7 answers to this question

From the manual:

[42: SP-MUTE] Speaker Mute
Function: Speaker Mute settings
Options: QT/QT+DTMF/QT*DTMF
Default: QT
QT: All signals on the same CTCSS tone/DCS code will activate the speaker
QT+DTMF: Only those signals which include both the same CTCSS/DCS and dual-tone multi-frequency (DTMF) signal as the radio will activate the speaker.
QT*DTMF: Only those signals which have either the same QT or DTMF codes as the radio will activate the speaker.

You want "QT".  I really don't think you want to mess with DTMF tones, even if the other radios will do them.

"What does the DN and the DI mean?"

Digital Normal and Digital Inverted.  Usually "Normal" is used.  Either will work, but has to be the same on all radios.

So have you been able to get your radios to talk *at all*?  If not, two things to try:

1)  Pick a channel and don't set any CTCSS or DCS tones on it at all.  Does that work?

2)  If not, have one of the kids go to the other end of the house (or even better, other side of the yard) and test.  Many less-expensive radios (especially Baofengs) are very susceptible to receiver desense, and if you are trying to test them a few feet (or less) apart you may hear nothing. 

DNI means the tones are inverted. Don’t use that. 
For the first repeater use DN073 for the TX CTCSS/DCS setting.

I would recommend leaving the RX CTCSS/DCS setting at none. Once you confirm that works you can try DN073 for your RX CTCSS/DCS.

For the second repeater use 250.3 Hz for TX CTCSS/DCS.

Again I would recommend leaving RX CTCSS/DCS set to none until everything is working. Then if you want you can change your RX CTCSS/DCS to match the output of the repeater: 254.1 Hz.

Leave SP tone at the default QT. All those others are things that have to do with dual tones. They’re used for some commercial systems, but not on our gmrs radios.

12 minutes ago, WQZQ295 said:

I have both Wouxun/KG-935G and Baofeng UV-5G, GMRS radios.  I having issues having them talk on a programed channel.  I have the two radios.  The Wouxuns are for my wife and I and the two Baofengs are for my two children.

In Wouxun radios software Rx/Tx - CTCSS/DCS. 

1. In the software for Wouxun radios, Rx/Tx – “CTCSS/DCS”, my options are the standard 67.0 – 254.1, DN023 – DN754 and DI023 – DN754.  What does the DN and the DI mean?

Digital NORMAL, Digital INVERTED

1. In the software for Wouxun radios, “SP Mute”, my options are DT, DT+DTMF and QT-DTMF.  What does the SP Mute options mean? 

It specifies the type of tone expected: "QT" (aka Motorola PL, aka CTCSS), "DT" (DCS sometimes listed as DPL if following Motorola notation). The two with DTMF not only require a particular tone to be sent, but also a sequence of DTMF codes to wake up the repeater.

Wouxun software program.  The frequencies I am having issues. 

image.thumb.png.7ebb9955ceff9f91354a6cacd705608c.png

MyGMRS.com request. Sample #1  What, does DPL mean?

Are those supposed to be repeaters? If they are, the Tx frequency needs to start with 467.xxx. As shown, you are set up for simplex, transmitting on the repeater OUTPUT frequency.

image.thumb.png.805c1b15eb453a42f31308bbdeea51e9.png

Unfortunately, this entry does not state if the digital tone is "Normal" or "Inverted"

MyGMRS.com request. Sample #2.

image.thumb.png.5ce539ca9e4daddb586d7ef63838b804.png

Any Help would so greatly be appreciated, thank-you!

You've been licensed 6 months and are trying to set up two repeaters?

2 hours ago, KAF6045 said:

You've been licensed 6 months and are trying to set up two repeaters?

It looks to me that he screenshot his request to use those two repeaters; not trying to be an owner/originator; and he's looking for advice on how to set his Wouxun KG-935G and Baofeng UV-5G to be able to communicate through them.

2 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

It looks to me that he screenshot his request to use those two repeaters; not trying to be an owner/originator; and he's looking for advice on how to set his Wouxun KG-935G and Baofeng UV-5G to be able to communicate through them.

Except they show the same owner name and I think that name is what popped up on ULS search on his call sign. Granted I could be misreading the screen shots.

1 hour ago, KAF6045 said:

Except they show the same owner name and I think that name is what popped up on ULS search on his call sign. Granted I could be misreading the screen shots.

That’s how it looks when you request access. Here’s what the actual repeater information looks like:

DDD63E05-F1EF-46EA-95BB-67A5298122ED.png