Gmrs texting question

Craws907

3 minutes ago, donniefitz2 said:

I'm pretty sure using data on GMRS radios is mostly proprietary at the moment. Each manufacturer has their own implementation so there's no interoperability between them. And, I doubt there will be anytime soon. Without some kind of standard similar to APRS, it would be hard for that to exist. 

I figured,, how boring.

+1 on what Sshannon said, willing to test. I have Rino 120 and 530 units that work together as they are both Garmin products but have yet to have another model that texts to test out. They work well for texting, because a short data burst often gets through where voice will not be clear. I'm just glad that Garmin cracked that egg with the FCC years ago, text and location data for showing position on a map, can be useful. 

Note on 100/500 series Garmin Rino's and texting notes, from the Garmin site. Note the firmware of the device, as some will not be able to send notes/text messages. 

Sending a Text Message Using a Rino 100 or Rino 500 Series

Text messages, known as Notes, can be sent from one compatible Rino device to another compatible Rino device*. In order for the notes to be sent properly all Rino's that are supposed to receive the message must be on the same Channel and Code.

To send a Note to another Rino user using a Rino 100 or Rino 500 series:

1. Press Page to reach the Map page
  2. Select the icon of the user you wish to message with the thumb stick
  3. Press and hold the thumb stick until a menu appears
  4. Select Send Note
  5. Edit a new note or select from the saved notes in the list below
  6. Select Send

If there is no option to send notes, ensure that the device firmware is up to date by downloading and running the WebUpdater program.

*Rino 120 devices were manufactured with two different versions of software. The devices with software 3.90 or less do not offer the Notes feature. Users with software 3.90 or less will not be able to update to the 5.XX software that does offer the Notes feature.

3 minutes ago, WRUS537 said:

I wonder if we will ever have radio frequences that you can just talk on or will they always end up turning into a computer and cell phone.

I’m absolutely certain that when phone communications were first introduced someone said exactly the same thing about Morse Code. Evolution is bound to happen.

FRS, MURS, and GMRS have had data communications since long before you or I got our licenses.

CB is limited to voice communications.  

2 hours ago, Tyeandjeff1979 said:

I figured,, how boring.

It's also currently limited to hand-held<>hand-held

(d) Digital data. GMRS hand-held portable units may transmit digital data containing location information, or requesting location information from one or more other GMRS or FRS units, or containing a brief text message to another specific GMRS or FRS unit.

57 minutes ago, Tyeandjeff1979 said:

So if you a few of one of these options can you directly text an individuals by using different tones? The glued on antenna is a bummer also, why cant the fcc make this option more fun?

Not to an individual; to everyone listening on that channel. You send a text message that anyone with that radio can receive and read. 

Fun Communications Commission!

1 hour ago, Tyeandjeff1979 said:

So if you a few of one of these options can you directly text an individuals by using different tones? The glued on antenna is a bummer also, why cant the fcc make this option more fun?

Are the radios truly GMRS, or do they fall under the 2017 reorganization as FRS/no-license? FRS is now allowed 2W on most frequencies, 0.5W ERP on the 467MHz interstitials. That ERP specification is a bit crucial -- changing antennas could allow for a higher ERP. Power >2W, removable antenna, repeater capable are all conditions that make the radio GMRS/license.

I believe most of the units (Garmin, et al) that had position or text capability fell into the FRS side of the reorganization.

Confusingly, however, 2017 granted low power GMRS units (hand-helds, since I know of no mobiles that go below 5W) access to the 467MHz interstitials and duplicated the 0.5W ERP -- but can't enforce it since practically all GMRS HTs have removable antennas, and a gain antenna would exceed the 0.5W ERP. The GMRS 462MHz interstitials are 5.0W ERP...

6 minutes ago, KAF6045 said:

Are the radios truly GMRS, or do they fall under the 2017 reorganization as FRS/no-license? FRS is now allowed 2W on most frequencies, 0.5W ERP on the 467MHz interstitials. That ERP specification is a bit crucial -- changing antennas could allow for a higher ERP. Power >2W, removable antenna, repeater capable are all conditions that make the radio GMRS/license.

I believe most of the units (Garmin, et al) that had position or text capability fell into the FRS side of the reorganization.

Confusingly, however, 2017 granted low power GMRS units (hand-helds, since I know of no mobiles that go below 5W) access to the 467MHz interstitials and duplicated the 0.5W ERP -- but can't enforce it since practically all GMRS HTs have removable antennas, and a gain antenna would exceed the 0.5W ERP. The GMRS 462MHz interstitials are 5.0W ERP...

The Garmins are definitely GMRS, putting out five watts. 
For GMRS, paragraph 95.1787(a)(4) says that GMRS hand-held portables capable of sending digital data must have non-removable antennas. 

On 11/14/2022 at 2:22 PM, Sshannon said:

The Garmins are definitely GMRS, putting out five watts. 
For GMRS, paragraph 95.1787(a)(4) says that GMRS hand-held portables capable of sending digital data must have non-removable antennas. 

This reminded me one of my own Garmin Rino units, and the field repairs many of us did when the antennas did come off in the field (using them in Afghanistan to keep track of team members, with the caveat that location polling was turned off/radio was turned off when we did not want to be sending data). this was a check and balance to the AN/PSM-11 GPS before the newer DAGR series came out.

Many Garmin Rino's that had broken antennas, 120 and 530 models, often ended up with a retrofitted longer antenna. In my case, I just jammed the rubber cover with black Permatex and sealed it back up. Then when the rubber itself broke, it got the heat shrink with polyolefin sealant fix. Part of the failure on these is that many of us pulled the radios out of a molle case by its radio antenna, so the cover would pull off eventually. Do not pull radios out of pouches by the antenna. Somewhere online someone may have posted a Garmin Rino with a longer antenna fitted, but I could not find one myself. Better than throwing the unit away and new models come so fast support from Garmin often ends after 2-3 years. 

GMRSLineup.jpg

30 minutes ago, PACNWComms said:

This reminded me one of my own Garmin Rino units, and the field repairs many of us did when the antennas did come off in the field (using them in Afghanistan to keep track of team members, with the caveat that location polling was turned off/radio was turned off when we did not want to be sending data). this was a check and balance to the AN/PSM-11 GPS before the newer DAGR series came out.

Many Garmin Rino's that had broken antennas, 120 and 530 models, often ended up with a retrofitted longer antenna. In my case, I just jammed the rubber cover with black Permatex and sealed it back up. Then when the rubber itself broke, it got the heat shrink with polyolefin sealant fix. Part of the failure on these is that many of us pulled the radios out of a molle case by its radio antenna, so the cover would pull off eventually. Do not pull radios out of pouches by the antenna. Somewhere online someone may have posted a Garmin Rino with a longer antenna fitted, but I could not find one myself. Better than throwing the unit away and new models come so fast support from Garmin often ends after 2-3 years. 

GMRSLineup.jpg

If my Rino antenna ever breaks, I’ll remember this! I appreciate the background. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/14/2022 at 9:30 AM, donniefitz2 said:

I'm pretty sure using data on GMRS radios is mostly proprietary at the moment. Each manufacturer has their own implementation so there's no interoperability between them. And, I doubt there will be anytime soon. Without some kind of standard similar to APRS, it would be hard for that to exist. 

The BTECH GMRS Pro is a reflashed/rebranded Vero VR-N75 that is locked to tx on GMRS freqs. It uses APRS with AFSK1200.

The Garmin and Motorola HTs use proprietary protocols and do not interop with others.

54 minutes ago, timclark82 said:

The BTECH GMRS Pro is a reflashed/rebranded Vero VR-N75 that is locked to tx on GMRS freqs. It uses APRS with AFSK1200.

The Garmin and Motorola HTs use proprietary protocols and do not interop with others.

Pretty sure I've seen reddit posts that someone was successfully able to send aprs messages between the gmrs pro and a yaesu ftm400.