KG-XS20G plus problem

Mtipton

Question

12 answers to this question

55 minutes ago, Mtipton said:

When transmitting on high power for more than a few seconds my radio will power off then immediately power back on. What could be causing this? It does not do it on low power.

The two things I would check for are 

1. High SWR or
  2. Insufficient power supply.

Some radios have protection built in that will temporarily shut down rather than transmitting into a high SWR.

But it may simply be that your power supply simply cannot provide the power your radio needs when it’s transmitting at high power, resulting in the voltage sagging and the radio resetting itself.

2 hours ago, Sshannon said:

The two things I would check for are 

1. High SWR or
  2. Insufficient power supply.

Some radios have protection built in that will temporarily shut down rather than transmitting into a high SWR.

But it may simply be that your power supply simply cannot provide the power your radio needs when it’s transmitting at high power, resulting in the voltage sagging and the radio resetting itself.

SWR is 1.01, power is 14.2 hardwired to the vehicle's battery.

21 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

Measuring at the radio, does the voltage stay at 14.1 when you key up on high power?

This step always tells the real story.  I have seen some mobile installations that have had 20+ feet of 16 or even 18 gauge wire with crimped extensions and crimped eye-loops at the battery.  On the radio side, they experienced a 1.5v to 2v drop when in standby and 3.5v to 4v drop on the radio side when they key up.

10 minutes ago, Mtipton said:

Yes

Check and remake all of your connections. If that still doesn’t help (it’s just a last gasp effort) then I would call customer support. It could be any number of things from a cold solder joint to a cracked trace on a PCB or something completely different. I’m sorry, but I don’t have any more suggestions. Please let us know what they say.

4 hours ago, Sshannon said:

Check and remake all of your connections. If that still doesn’t help (it’s just a last gasp effort) then I would call customer support. It could be any number of things from a cold solder joint to a cracked trace on a PCB or something completely different. I’m sorry, but I don’t have any more suggestions. Please let us know what they say.

Thanks for the effort. I'm sending it back to the seller for testing/replacement.

I had a Kenwood 2m radio installed in my truck for years with no problems and then one day it started doing exactly what you described. After a ton of trouble shooting I removed the radio and hooked it up to another source of power outside of the vehicle and it worked fine. I finally removed the installed wiring which was routed along a pillar and above the head liner and found the black wire had a compressed spot on it and had rubbed through the insulation over time. The wire was running through a tight spot. I replaced the wire and rerouted it and no more problem. I had done the initial installation so it was all on me...

So, if you can remove the radio and use a different power source it might be helpful to either narrow down the source of the problem or at least eliminate the wiring as the culprit.

8 hours ago, WRHS218 said:

I had a Kenwood 2m radio installed in my truck for years with no problems and then one day it started doing exactly what you described. After a ton of trouble shooting I removed the radio and hooked it up to another source of power outside of the vehicle and it worked fine. I finally removed the installed wiring which was routed along a pillar and above the head liner and found the black wire had a compressed spot on it and had rubbed through the insulation over time. The wire was running through a tight spot. I replaced the wire and rerouted it and no more problem. I had done the initial installation so it was all on me...

So, if you can remove the radio and use a different power source it might be helpful to either narrow down the source of the problem or at least eliminate the wiring as the culprit.

I ran new wiring no change, it's being sent back.

I have the same model from buytwoway. I experienced it once but mine is connected to a PS, voltage on both the radio and a digital voltmeter shows 13.7 Volts and SWR is less than 1.2. 
I am having speaker 2 issues, the one on the mic. They already sent me a replacement mic and the problem persists, I just hear a little crackling sound out of spk 2.  I hope Wouxun workmanship is doing down.