MURS Mystery Noise

Hey there! So i am an owner of multiple radios, some GMRS and some MURS, and a HAM Radio (No License for ham, just listening). I was flipping through MURS Channels (I have programmed into a radio specifically to find frequencies being used) and came across MURS4 Being Used (154.570, AKA BlueDot, Previously Business Band but now grandfathered in to any citizen can use it) and when I decided to Key on it, I received a tone similar to a tail on GMRS Repeaters, but then was surprised when My voice was repeated back to me. It was not a one time thing, and will happen continuously. I have yet to find anything on it while researching it, and figured i would try here. Thanks for all help!

WRVG593

P.S 

If it helps i'm in SouthWestern Ohio, in suburbs, somewhat near a city. Although i don't see any way MURS could ever reach the city. 

Not knowing how new you are to radios, let me explain the concept of a radio repeater.

It is a combination device that includes both a receiver and a transmitter with appropriate electronics to usually share one antenna.

It is generally used to increase the available range for many people in a specific geographical area.

For example, a private school in Los Angeles has installed a repeater so that its various employees (custodians, teaches, guidance, etc.) can communicate easily with each other using inexpensive handheld radios, known as "walkie-talkies" historically but usually called HTs for hand-heads these days.

The HT transmits on one frequency and receives on another, so that whether they are transmitting or receiving they are linked together by the repeater; and can be heard in "real-time."

Hence each transmission requires two separate frequencies: one to transmit and the other to receive.

In your case, you are hearing what is known as a "simplex repeater."

By receiving the transmission, recording it and then retransmitting the content, it is only required to use one frequency, but of course conversations take at least twice as long.

The distinction between the rules for license-free FRS and license required GMRS, is that FRS radios do not have the ability (by rule and by manufacture) to transmit over duplex repeaters.

I guess in theory (without checking further) they would be allowed to use a simplex repeater set up by a GMRS licensee on one of the FRS/GMRS frequencies.

Very Helpful. I understand how GMRS and HAM Repeaters work, but haven't had luck finding anything on MURS Simplex things. Very little information comparatively. But from what I understand is that the simplex repeater is generally unusual, underpowered, and usually not worth the time. I had noticed that me and another Radio user was able to get more distance on the channel in that area, but was not sure if it was a fluke or confirmation bias. It was just strange because using a GMRS repeater, the transmission has a tail that generally lasts 1-5 seconds depending on multiple factors. But I had never heard my own voice over a radio, especially not through my own radio 5 seconds after my transmission.

8 minutes ago, MichaelLAX said:

Not knowing how new you are to radios, let me explain the concept of a radio repeater.

It is a combination device that includes both a receiver and a transmitter with appropriate electronics to usually share one antenna.

It is generally used to increase the available range for many people in a specific geographical area.

For example, a private school in Los Angeles has installed a repeater so that its various employees (custodians, teaches, guidance, etc.) can communicate easily with each other using inexpensive handheld radios, known as "walkie-talkies" historically but usually called HTs for hand-heads these days.

The HT transmits on one frequency and receives on another, so that whether they are transmitting or receiving they are linked together by the repeater; and can be heard in "real-time."

Hence each transmission requires two separate frequencies: one to transmit and the other to receive.

In your case, you are hearing what is known as a "simplex repeater."

By receiving the transmission, recording it and then retransmitting the content, it is only required to use one frequency, but of course conversations take at least twice the time.

You're much better off getting the proper equipment and location (the higher the better) for a GMRS repeater for one of the 8 channels that seem to not be congested with existing communication in your area.

If you are interested, there are others here more experienced in the actual setup and operation of GMRS repeaters.

I understand GMRS Repeaters much better. I actually have every repeater (Open System and the Paid Club im in) programmed in. I about the ruled though, i think there might be an old simplex repeater from when it was the Business Band? Maybe it was grandfathered in? IM not sure. 

2 minutes ago, MichaelLAX said:

BTW: The FCC regs for MURS do not allow repeaters, so whoever has set it up is doing so in violation of existing regulations and rules.

3 minutes ago, MichaelLAX said:

You're much better off getting the proper equipment and location (the higher the better) for a GMRS repeater for one of the 8 channels that seem to not be congested with existing communication in your area.

If you are interested, there are others here more experienced in the actual setup and operation of GMRS repeaters.

MURS never went anywhere for a couple of reasons.

First and foremost - Walmart and all the other big box stores dont sell them. The only people who knew about the MURS band were people who were already into the radio hobby. The only radios you find readily available in the stores are FRS/GMRS radios. 99% of people who buy them have absolutely no clue how they work, nor do they care, that is, until they give one to their kids and while the kids are beating off the call button for hours, someone comes across their radio and says hello.

For those who actually noticed that the FCC made the frequencies legal, they all instantly looked at the rules and got scared like they just cheated on 20 years of taxes and the IRS was coming for them. Combine those two things and to this day, I cannot understand why the FCC opened the 5 frequencies for unlicensed use. They could have included them in frequencies for VHF trunked systems and made money off of them.

As for that voice coming back, I wonder if they are using a VGC VR-N7500. Its a good radio but some of the functions they give you, I would never use, voice repeat being one of them. Get a repeater or make a crossband out of two of the radios. It works much easier.

https://www.walmart.com/search?q=murs radio&typeahead=murs

Well it seems if you drag it to files it turns it into a webloc, or at least it did for me but not if I drag it straight to text. It didn't matter which browser I used... 

I also was annoyed and I did it ?

1 hour ago, Lscott said:

I wished people wouldn't use WEBLOC files as links. Just copy and paste the URL

image.png.df68c123aad68bba65780691c3948716.png

47 minutes ago, WRUU653 said:

https://www.walmart.com/search?q=murs radio&typeahead=murs

Well it seems if you drag it to files it turns it into a webloc, or at least it did for me but not if I drag it straight to text. It didn't matter which browser I used... 

I also was annoyed and I did it ?

image.png.df68c123aad68bba65780691c3948716.png

Walmart uses a Motorola RDM2070D radio on the MURS frequencies. I believe it's specifically manufactured just for Walmart's use.

https://www.twowayradiocenter.com/motorola-rdm2070d-walmart-two-way-radio/

The very similar RDM2050 I think anyone can buy.

I use a Kenwood TK-270G radio. It's not certified for MURS because it got the license grant before MURS existed. I think the radio would be legal to use as long as it's programed to meet the power, bandwidth and frequencies used.

https://forums.mygmrs.com/topic/1239-old-part-90-radios-predating-murs-service-legal-use/

On 12/20/2022 at 1:23 PM, Lscott said:

Walmart uses a Motorola RDM2070D radio on the MURS frequencies. I believe it's specifically manufactured just for Walmart's use.

https://www.twowayradiocenter.com/motorola-rdm2070d-walmart-two-way-radio/

The very similar RDM2050 I think anyone can buy.

I use a Kenwood TK-270G radio. It's not certified for MURS because it got the license grant before MURS existed. I think the radio would be legal to use as long as it's programed to meet the power, bandwidth and frequencies used.

https://forums.mygmrs.com/topic/1239-old-part-90-radios-predating-murs-service-legal-use/

I also believe it was made for walmart. I don't see anyone else using them

I know for a fact that there are plenty of reviews of these MURS radios especially the ones made by retevis and they're taking off like rockets I'm planning on getting some myself because not only is the band quiet but it's there just in case anybody has an emergency or whatnot compared to the FRS that I really don't care for due to the fact of all the kids on it I really like how the VHF side had been nice and quiet and that's what I've been scanning is those five frequencies haven't heard anyone on it yet but I'm always monitoring it just in case somebody's passing through the area and wants to talk or has an emergency I'm able to respond right away which is great!!!!!!

I have a pair of Baofeng HTs that identify as BTech MURS-V1s. My wife and I use them for short-range comms when we're at our favorite cabin and I go off hiking myself. We're pretty much assured that absolutely no one will hear us or interfere with our comms because so few people know about MURS. It's supposed to be limited to 2 watts. I'm surprised it isn't more popular. There's actually quite a few decent radios out there, mobiles and HTs. Maybe the 2 watt limitation turns people off, but it's surprising what 2 watts on VHF can do. Not sure if I would run out and buy a $370 Wouxun KG-1000M, but a couple of HTs with mag mount antennas make a pretty nifty car-to-car setup, like CB without all the noise and idiocracy.