Yellow-Dot Frequency Questions

WRVG593

So I'm fairly new to radios. I've had a couple for roughly 3 months and have dove headfirst into all different types of radios. That being said I love scanning frequencies, creating lists for repeaters and other things in my area I'm sure to catch! (Such as I'm fairly sure I have one of the last Wendy's still using 400+ mhz range on their headsets). I was scanning all the preprogrammed frequencies I have in my radio, and one of those included the STARS and DOTS. Brown dot in my area is usually construction workers and crane operators. The STARS and other dots are not usually active, except the uncommon sound of a (water/sewage?) Public worker. That being said, the one frequency that stands out is 464.550, otherwise known as yellowdot. I haven't done muxh research on it, mostly because I love learning from you guys! 

My question is, why is it that yellow dot of all frequencies in my area is always buzzing... it sounds like my squelch is turned completely off. And it's the only one of the dots and stars that do this. 

Thanks!

Wrvg593

15 minutes ago, KAF6045 said:

Might be a "birdie" in the radio, or intermod from two other frequencies. Note that the frequency is 2MHz higher that the GMRS .550 simplex/output, and 3MHz below the GMRS .550 input.

So this frequency goes for about 10 miles, stops for about 5 miles, and then picks back up in a light indrstrial area. Any idea why? Once again it's a squelch noise I'm hearing, as if there's information coming that is only garbled noise.

2 hours ago, WRVG593 said:

So this frequency goes for about 10 miles, stops for about 5 miles, and then picks back up in a light indrstrial area. Any idea why? Once again it's a squelch noise I'm hearing, as if there's information coming that is only garbled noise.

It could be just as the OP mentioned. 

I have an old Kenwood Ham HT, TK-G71A, with the GMRS frequencies in it for monitoring. On one channel I get almost full scale signal. It will change as I move the radio around so it seems directional. When I use several other radios to monitor the same channel I get zero, nothing there. The logical conclusion is there exists a strong signal mixing with an internal signal that shows up on the channel in question.

464.550 is used a lot by business's and your most likely either hearing DMR or some other stuff on the channels. I can't count the amount of "building" repeaters I saw back in my shop days all on 464.550. It is an Itinerant frequency which means any business can license it. I suspect a repeater causing your noise. Put a PL/DPL tone on it and skip over it.