Uv 9g programing repeaters

WRVQ831

Question

Greetings and Salutations,

I am new to GMRS. I have a Baofeng uv 9g. I have watched many videos on how to program repeaters into my radio. The issue is even after I follow all the instructions, I am not able to transmit on the channel I just made. So, I have to reset everything and start again. Can anyone help me figure out what I am doing wrong. My callsign WRVQ831. Thank you in advance.

14 answers to this question

What frequency are you trying to put in? Where in the radio (what channel space) are you putting it? Are you in channel mode when you are trying to tx. I have found Chirp is easier to use to program the radio. I like being able to see all the info on a page before me.  You need to be in channel mode to tx and it needs to be a GMRS frequency and in the 1-54 channels. 23-54 are pre set for repeaters with +5 offset but that can be changed. 

Okay so I was a bit tired when I saw your post last night and in retrospect felt I could have done more to help... Here is a screen shot of a typical Chirp Repeater set up on your radio using the same input and output tones. 

image.thumb.jpeg.b73524381b224d4d640aed45a17d311c.jpeg

Also you may find this info on Chirp tone programming is helpful. https://wiki.radioreference.com/images/0/0a/CHIRP_tone_programming.pdf

Hello, I am using frequency mode to enter the out code say "444100" then I save it.  I then enter the offset of say"000.500" and save that; then enter the "- or +", then the hz say "162.2" and I save that all on channel "31".  After which when I change the radio back to channel mode and key up channel "31" nothing happens. I would seem I need to use Chirp.  LOL

22 minutes ago, WRVQ831 said:

I then enter the offset of say"000.500" and save that...

The offset is 5.0 MHz; as shown in the CHIRP photo above.

444100?!?  Not a GMRS frequency.

I just downloaded and reviewed the UV-9G manual, and it is not too helpful in this situation.  Perhaps you cannot transmit above channel 30 on this HT?

Oh, @WRUU653 says Channels 23-54 are preset for Repeaters.

In Channel Mode, try entering the CTCSS Tone of 162.2 on one of Channels 23-54, depending upon the frequency of the repeater you are trying to access.

4 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

Oh, @WRUU653 says Channels 23-54 are preset for Repeaters

Hey Michael, yes they are preset from 23-54 and a +5 offset is preset. I do use Chirp and I did try adding a repeater set up on channel 102 this morning and it does transmit as long as you are in a gmrs frequency.  So if you wanted you could fill it up to 127 with repeaters. Also you don’t have to stick with the frequencies in their preordained order. You can change things around say if you had a different order you wanted. The offset can be changed also. It won’t let you add any non Gmrs channels for tx though, just receive.  For that you need it’s Ham cousin the GT-3WP and yes that can be unlocked… though I would never ?

One thing I would add is I did adjust the squelch parameters in chirp to dial out unwanted noise in scan mode. This seems to have different sensitivity from radio to radio for whatever reason. 
Gil

The manual isn’t the best. You will find things that are from its Ham counterpart that don’t apply. The most annoying thing to me is under the section Functions and operations (1)=menu 0, (2)=menu 1 and so on. Never fails to trip me up when I am referencing something in a hurry   ? 

Gil 

I realize this is a dated post, but I am also new to gmrs and trying to learn the manual is weak at best, it describ the functions but limited detail on how to program a repeater channel "manually". I have Apple Mac computers and the software i have seen so far all uses MS .exe executables. I am have the UV-9G radio and also purchased the Midland MXT575. I want them for off road hunting in the Northwoods of Maine. Maine has a lot of repeaters and fully covers the area around my camp by over a 100 miles based on what i found on this site. So my question is two part; first are you aware of any programming software that will run on macOS? and ; second is their understandable video or instruction available to program my handheld manually? I havent even started with the MXT575 yet.

Walter

WRTP426  

54 minutes ago, WRTP426 said:

So my question is two part; first are you aware of any programming software that will run on macOS? and ; second is their understandable video or instruction available to program my handheld manually? I havent even started with the MXT575 yet.

CHIRP runs on MacoOS and I believe you can use CHIRP with the UV-9G, but not with the Midland.  You can download CHIRP here: https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Download

Search Youtube for videos on how to program the UV-9G - if they exist, they will be there, but once you get CHIRP running, its much easier to do it that way.

39 minutes ago, WRTP426 said:

Gil 

I realize this is a dated post, but I am also new to gmrs and trying to learn the manual is weak at best, it describ the functions but limited detail on how to program a repeater channel "manually". I have Apple Mac computers and the software i have seen so far all uses MS .exe executables. I am have the UV-9G radio and also purchased the Midland MXT575. I want them for off road hunting in the Northwoods of Maine. Maine has a lot of repeaters and fully covers the area around my camp by over a 100 miles based on what i found on this site. So my question is two part; first are you aware of any programming software that will run on macOS? and ; second is their understandable video or instruction available to program my handheld manually? I havent even started with the MXT575 yet.

Walter

WRTP426  

AS mentioned by @OffRoaderX Chirp is your best bet for the UV-9G radios. I have a few radios that don't use Chirp but as a Mac user I am starting to look for those that do for future radios. It's just easier. I can't speak to the Midland radios as I don't have any but I hear they are pretty straight forward and my guess is after using Chirp on your UV-9G radios you will gain a better understanding and be better prepared to navigate the Midland. It helps to see things on the page so to speak. 

On 12/27/2022 at 2:24 PM, WRUU653 said:

Hey Michael, yes they are preset from 23-54 and a +5 offset is preset. I do use Chirp and I did try adding a repeater set up on channel 102 this morning and it does transmit as long as you are in a gmrs frequency.  So if you wanted you could fill it up to 127 with repeaters. Also you don’t have to stick with the frequencies in their preordained order. You can change things around say if you had a different order you wanted. The offset can be changed also. It won’t let you add any non Gmrs channels for tx though, just receive.  For that you need it’s Ham cousin the GT-3WP and yes that can be unlocked… though I would never ?

One thing I would add is I did adjust the squelch parameters in chirp to dial out unwanted noise in scan mode. This seems to have different sensitivity from radio to radio for whatever reason. 
Gil

Jumping in here .. so I'm fairly new with the UV9G. I've got things figured out for communicating on local GMRS repeaters etc .. Where I'm trying to get is to scan local emergency channels. Many have went to P25 digital, which I know is not possible with this radio. However, there are some basic channels within the frequencies for this radio. Where I'm falling down is when I get to chirp and go to program these scan only channels: OK, so, instead of trying type out what I'm trying to say, I have provided a screenshot for an example of what I'm trying to program. I'm questioning if there needs to be an offset, and I'm fairly certain that the rest can just be put into chip just like I would for a normal GMRS channel, right? WSBM685 - Bonney Lake, WA 

Screenshot 2024-03-05 162423.png

1 hour ago, WSBM685 said:

Jumping in here .. so I'm fairly new with the UV9G. I've got things figured out for communicating on local GMRS repeaters etc .. Where I'm trying to get is to scan local emergency channels. Many have went to P25 digital, which I know is not possible with this radio. However, there are some basic channels within the frequencies for this radio. Where I'm falling down is when I get to chirp and go to program these scan only channels: OK, so, instead of trying type out what I'm trying to say, I have provided a screenshot for an example of what I'm trying to program. I'm questioning if there needs to be an offset, and I'm fairly certain that the rest can just be put into chip just like I would for a normal GMRS channel, right? WSBM685 - Bonney Lake, WA 

Screenshot 2024-03-05 162423.png

No offset needed. The offset is because the receive frequency is different than the send and you will just be receiving on those frequencies. Also tones aren’t needed for just listening. On your GMRS channels the tones on TX are to open the repeater and the Tones on RX are to eliminate everything but that repeater to hear on that frequency. For scanning things like fire channels you can leave the tones off, in fact you can leave the receive tones off on your GMRS repeater programming and hear all that’s on those channels. Hope I explained that okay.