Members Only Repeaters?

Guest New2GMRS

Guest New2GMRS

This is probably a dumb question as I've just recently started looking into GMRS, so apologies in advanced xD

I'm looking to hike the Appalacian Trail in the next year and was thinking of taking a GMRS radio with me to communicate with my brother (who will also be hiking). Since the area is so tree-filled and hilly, I was looking at the repeater map on here to determine if I'd have decent repeater coverage for most of the hike. I've noticed some of the repeaters are typed as Members Only (paid). For example Flagship 675 in Jasper Georgia which covers quite a large section of the Georgia portion of the Appalacian Trail says it's Members Only (paid). I haven't applyed for my GMRS licence yet as I'm still debating if it will be worth taking a GMRS radio with me so I can't get details provided with each repeater since I can't yet create an account. My question is, how would I access these Members Only repeaters and approximately how much does it cost? I've tried googling, but haven't had much luck. Thanks in advance to anyone able to answer my probably stupid question. 

Flagship 675 is part of North Georgia GMRS

I believe that they state that their repeaters are open to "transient" users, so as a traveler, as someone passing through that area, I don't think that they'd give you any grief

A few years ago, I was vacationing north of Chattanooga, & I checked into their weekly net as a guest on the Lookout Mountain repeater

Other repeater owners may not be as open to travelers, you'll have to find out with each one

73, Happy New Year & enjoy your hike

Just get a sat unit and don't rely on the GMRS radio. A Garmin Inreach Mini will cost about $20 for the safety plan and allow you to send a text or message home to let folks know your ok. Simple and cheap solution that will work on the entire AT. In the end the cost of the GMRS radios, paid repeater access will cost just as much

2 minutes ago, kerstuff said:

Negative. I live in the mountains & can use these repeaters when visiting family.

Wait: I thought I was responding to you as the OP who signed in as Guest, but that's not you.

On 12/31/2022 at 2:26 AM, Guest New2GMRS said:

This is probably a dumb question as I've just recently started looking into GMRS, so apologies in advanced xD

I'm looking to hike the Appalacian Trail...