New on GMRs never ever had a radio how to star

Guest wrvs420

Guest wrvs420

Hello in brand new on GMRs I really don't know anything about it I got a radio because I will be using it for dirt biking communicating with a group, but I was wondering hot to connect to a repeaters,I watched lots of videos but not being able to communicate I don't understand how it works, or where to start I read the manual back and forth but connecting and talk in the GMRs net I will love to learn about it any ideas please help me thanks in advance I just got my Baofeng uv-5g GMRs radio I love to use it to be able to talk to more GMRs licenses guys 

On 1/8/2023 at 1:15 AM, Guest wrvs420 said:

Hello in brand new on GMRs I really don't know anything about it I got a radio because I will be using it for dirt biking communicating with a group, but I was wondering hot to connect to a repeaters,I watched lots of videos but not being able to communicate I don't understand how it works, or where to start I read the manual back and forth but connecting and talk in the GMRs net I will love to learn about it any ideas please help me thanks in advance I just got my Baofeng uv-5g GMRs radio I love to use it to be able to talk to more GMRs licenses guys 

Welcome to GMRS!

The Notarubicon YouTube channel has videos that answers this exact question, including showing how to set Baofeng uv5R radios and repeater basics, but I’ll try to give a short description here that might help you. It won’t be as entertaining as Randy’s videos, but I hope it will give you a foundation.

Transmit and receive frequency

Repeaters use full duplex communications, meaning that at exactly the same time they are receiving a transmission they are transmitting it at a frequency that’s typically 5 MHz lower.  Usually repeaters are listed by the frequencies they transmit on.  So, you might find a “550” repeater that’s listed as 462.550 MHz. In order for you to use that repeater you would have to transmit on 467.550 MHz and listen on 462.550 MHz.  Different radios program differently.  Some require that you explicitly set the transmission frequency in one column and the receive frequency in another.  I think that’s what your radio does.

Tones

The second part of this is tones, which can be the single most confusing aspect.  Repeaters are usually listed with Input and Output tones.  You transmit the repeater Input tone and you receive the repeater Output tone. Most repeaters have tone activated access. That’s their Input tone. They will only re-transmit signals that they receive using the correct tone.  And, to make things worse there are two major tone types, DCS and CTCSS which are not compatible with each other.  If the repeater you wish to access has an Input tone, you must program your radio to transmit that tone whenever you’re transmitting to the repeater.  For instance, the repeater here that I use requires an input CTCSS tone of 100 Hz.

Most repeaters also have an Output tone, which is the tone they transmit when they are relaying a transmission. It’s important to understand that a receiver that has no tones set receives everything.  So, if you’re listening to a transmitter that has a 100 Hz CTCSS output, but you haven’t set a receive tone, your receiver will still reproduce the transmission.  But, if you have the wrong tone set, they your receiver will disregard the signal. It receives it, but it doesn’t break squelch so you can hear it. For that reason I recommend that you leave the receive tone blank until you have everything working.

Hope this helps!

As I run across them on YouTube I’ll include links to videos that might help you:

I hope that it’s acceptable to ask this question on this thread due to similarity.

I am fairly new to GMRS but have searched the web for local repeaters with no result. Closest listed repeater is 100 miles or further and yet I can hear some people talking each night that would seem to be fairly close due to some of the things that they speak about are unique to my specific area. It would seem through their conversation that the repeater is open to the public. (They were talking about multiple people that pass through their system) Is there a way that I can scan and figure out the offsets and Ctcss or Cdcss so I can gain access? I currently have a Baofeng BF-F8HP. 

27 minutes ago, Wrvq441 said:

I hope that it’s acceptable to ask this question on this thread due to similarity.

I am fairly new to GMRS but have searched the web for local repeaters with no result. Closest listed repeater is 100 miles or further and yet I can hear some people talking each night that would seem to be fairly close due to some of the things that they speak about are unique to my specific area. It would seem through their conversation that the repeater is open to the public. (They were talking about multiple people that pass through their system) Is there a way that I can scan and figure out the offsets and Ctcss or Cdcss so I can gain access? I currently have a Baofeng BF-F8HP. 

No problem at all.

Many radios have the ability to scan for tones, to determine which tones are used. Notarubicon has a video that shows how to do that.  I don’t have your radio, so I cannot promise you that your radio does it. You really only need the transmit (also referred to as the repeater input tone) to use a repeater (assuming you have permission of course.)  Obviously you already receive the repeater in your area or you’ve heard some people talking on simplex.

The offset for GMRS is almost always 5 MHz. GMRS repeaters always receive in the 467 MHz band and transmit on the 462 MHz band. So, whatever frequency you receive them on, (462.???) you will almost certainly need to transmit on 467.???  where ??? represents the decimal part of the frequency. Most GMRS radios have that offset built in when you choose the repeater channels, so you may only need to program the transmit tone.

You don’t mention where you are, but posting that might get someone here to help you learn what repeaters are in your area.  Did you look in the Repeaters section of this website?  It’s probably the most comprehensive listing of GMRS repeaters anywhere.  

16 minutes ago, Wrvq441 said:

Thank you for your reply.

I am located in Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin.

There are 26 repeaters listed for Wisconsin, with a few in Milwaukee and one in Waukesha that looks like it’s well within range of you. It’s listed as Armored 1 in the list of repeaters and requires permission to join.

I used the advanced search facility to look at all repeaters in the state.  

https://mygmrs.com/repeaters

F1F3F4DA-58B3-435E-A337-619D7EB0FD11.png

Thank you for your help!

I have requested permission from both the West Milwaukee and the Waukesha repeaters.

So far my experience on this forum has been outstanding. 

I once was looking into ham radio but unfortunately encountered a handful of extremely rude people. I realize that not all hams are rude, but apparently my area is saturated with the bad ones. I love to learn new things and ask many questions while building off of the answers from past questions. However; I must admit that I don’t deal with condescending jerks very well. It never comes out well.?

I’m a nerd that loves technology. I’ve been dabbling in two way communication for forty plus years and know just enough to be dangerous.? Now that I’m retired I want to learn more. I hope to be an asset to other newbies some day and be part of keeping GMRS from turning into another Children’s Band Radio fiasco.

Again; thank you for your advice and help.

2 hours ago, Wrvq441 said:

I once was looking into ham radio but unfortunately encountered a handful of extremely rude people. I realize that not all hams are rude, but apparently my area is saturated with the bad ones. I love to learn new things and ask many questions while building off of the answers from past questions. However; I must admit that I don’t deal with condescending jerks very well. It never comes out well.?

I'm truly sad you had a bad experience with some hams. Try the local club for additional help and assistance on getting a license if you are still interested. The club president is Anthony Casciato and his contact is (414) 550-0444, email is KX3H.radio at gmail.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Radio Chk

Hey all, new to GMRS world. I got my license but it’s too new to show on this website. Currently ( JAN 27, 2023) looking for a radio check for my new R/T Baofeng UV-5G. Please advise of freq/channel. Standing by, call Sign WRVZ770 (Frankie) south Florida.

17 minutes ago, Guest Radio Chk said:

Hey all, new to GMRS world. I got my license but it’s too new to show on this website. Currently ( JAN 27, 2023) looking for a radio check for my new R/T Baofeng UV-5G. Please advise of freq/channel. Standing by, call Sign WRVZ770 (Frankie) south Florida.

"South Florida" is a large area, relative to /simplex/ ranges (if you are standing in a rice paddy, you might get 5 miles. From the top of a ferris wheel maybe 10 miles. In town? 2-4 miles might be reasonable). So for a simplex check, you'll need to provide much more precise location data.

For a repeater... The repeater list shows an open repeater in Miami on .675 (along with a closed/permission required one on the same frequency, so getting the correct tones will be required). West Palm Beach are Members Only $$$.