GMRS vs MURS for Hikes

WRVG593

22 hours ago, WRUU653 said:

Not to reopen a can of worms but this seems like a scenario where a duel band receive (and TX) radio with GMRS and MURS would be handy… I know it’s not allowed.

Now you've done it! lol I have the Tera GMRS/MURS that was sold that way a few years ago. I have tested them between MURS and GMRS and generally have the programed for GMRS. I did have one channel set up for MURS for testing purposed, though technically it isn't proper. I may set them up for MURS for those times my wife is using one. She isn't good about identifying while using GMRS, and with MURS it isn't an issue. I found little difference in range between the two services with these radios, in my type of usage. 

On 1/16/2023 at 12:27 PM, MichaelLAX said:

Actually the green area on the map is the Angeles National Forest, which was between us.

We were both testing "opened" Radioddity DB20-Gs on GMRS, MURS, 2 meters and 70 cms on our various power settings, which I believe are 2, 5 and 18 watts (20 for VHF).

BTW: if you put a "@" before our screen name i.e., @MichaelLAX the person get an alert that he has been mentioned.

Strange -- the manual doesn't state /how/ to change power level. The specs show that "1-7" are 5W max, and default to that.

1. According to FCC Part 95E standard, CH8-CH14 are for 0.5W FRS channels, DB20-G minimum power 5W, maximum power 20W, so CH8-CH14 not allow
transmiting.
2. Follow Part 95E rule, DB20-G only allow transmitting on GMRS frequencies

That is an interesting quote.

On an "opened" DG20-G, you use "A-0" (or FUN-POW) on the microphone to toggle through the power settings.

I do not have a power meter to double check, hence my statement that "I believe" those to be the power settings, based on the number of Red Bars that appear when transmitting on L: which is 1 Bar out of 10. That being said, M is 5 bars out of 10 and, if linear, would mean 10 Watts VHF (9 watts UHF), not the 5 I quoted above.

To those that do have a power meter, if you have time, please feel free to measure the power output of L, M & H on GMRS and VHF, if your unit is opened.

Of course, if in reality the DB20-G's minimum power is 2W, than the Quoted Paragraph 1 would still be correct:

1. According to FCC Part 95E standard, CH8-CH14 are for 0.5W FRS channels, DB20-G minimum power 2W, maximum power 20W, so CH8-CH14 not allow
transmiting.

I'd suspect three power levels to be 100%, 50%, 25%... But then, I haven't really had much luck with getting the specified power out of mine (second sample yet!). My 15W MXT-115 actually puts out nearly a watt more than my DB-20G (~13.5 vs 12.75). I do see >20W on VHF when I tested it, and my lowest power is on the 467MHz repeater inputs (tested into a dummy load as I didn't have spare antennas for VHF... Hmm, wonder if a diplexer feeding separate VHF and UHF antennas would be viable ? )