Roger Beep

Wrvq441

2 minutes ago, WhiskeyRomeo790 said:

And, while I doubt the following may be possible (for I am a real no0b), it would be a neat deal *if* one could via external programming software program their own "beep" and to transmit at a subtle volume so as not to aggrieve those bluetooth headset users alluded to earlier in this thread. 

I like the old-school, analog, true "beep", like one we might hear from the Mercury capsule days of the early 1960s... and just above barely audible at the end of one's tx...

/ponder

My Alinco Ham radio has the ability to program in different tone sequences and no-tone sequences in a custom roger beep, but I don’t think the level is configurable.  I don’t know if my Garmin Rino GMRS Radio has a similar capability; I doubt it does.

^ ^ ^ Thank you, ss. 

User JeepCrawlers first reply in that thread is indeed edifying. 

Then, there's mbrun's comment! Hahaha...

"When I hear roger beeps, I immediately think of kids playing with toys and cheap radios, sort of like clipping playing cards onto one’s bicycle to rub on the spokes and make noise while you ridding. Fun for the person making the noise, annoying to everyone else."

I am further edumacated! Thank you. ?

CSRAGMRS has this statement pertaining to the use of their equipment: *We do not allow the use of any DTMF or end of transmission tones otherwise known as a Roger Beep(RB).

Seems redundant to use a, "Roger Beep" on a repeater in my opinion if you get used to listening to the repeater operation.

I forgot to say too, that you might search the Repeater Map here and open the information box to see if the owner states a restriction on actually using the repeater with a RB.  Just a suggestion as it seems to me that stipulation would have come with your approval to use the equipment.

Just a newbie trying to help....

• 2 weeks later...

Ugh!!! The term "roger beep" is sooo Smokey and the Bandit...HAVOC for Equipment it does not. Annoying for some, that is understandable. In the repeaters and space I own and operate in, these short data packets at the end or before are useful. MDC-1200 and Fleetsync are the only options we use. Now, if only the FCC would get their head out of their ass maybe we can also utilize DMR. Ha just had to throw that in there.

@OffRoaderXis on point ?

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Hairbear said:

If you want to run a roger beep run it. I’ve talked for many years and don’t really notice them. I do find them useful if talking groundwave or dx on other bands. 
People that are offended by them are controlling and should worry about their own transmissions not others. 

Fact