Newbie needs help

WRVV907

Question

Hi, i have a wouxun kg-935g.i recieved permission from a repeater owner to use his repeater that I found on radio reference. Com. Problem is, no tones match the tones in the wouxon software I'm using. I then tried chirp and ran into the same issue. They are posting numbers in DPL & DL while the numbers are suppose to be in CTCSS. Is there a convertion that I should know about or is it just OK to email the owner for him to give me the tone codes? Blthanks. 

3 answers to this question

1 hour ago, WRVV907 said:

Hi, i have a wouxun kg-935g.i recieved permission from a repeater owner to use his repeater that I found on radio reference. Com. Problem is, no tones match the tones in the wouxon software I'm using. I then tried chirp and ran into the same issue. They are posting numbers in DPL & DL while the numbers are suppose to be in CTCSS. Is there a convertion that I should know about or is it just OK to email the owner for him to give me the tone codes? Blthanks. 

CTCSS are analog tones.

DPL are digital codes.

There is no conversion.  Nor are they interchangeable.  You will have to learn how and where to select the DPL, also known as DCS, DTCSS, or possibly something else, but all meaning the same thing.  It’s usually a different menu item than the CTCSS tone.  I don’t have a 935, but someone will probably chime in and tell you which menu choice it is.  

Under the correct menu there will be a long list of choices.  There will also be a column telling whether the codes are normal or inverse.

2 hours ago, Sshannon said:

CTCSS are analog tones.

DPL are digital codes.

There is no conversion.  Nor are they interchangeable.  You will have to learn how and where to select the DPL, also known as DCS, DTCSS, or possibly something else, but all meaning the same thing.  It’s usually a different menu item than the CTCSS tone.  I don’t have a 935, but someone will probably chime in and tell you which menu choice it is.  

Under the correct menu there will be a long list of choices.  There will also be a column telling whether the codes are normal or inverse.

On the 935 on the radio the DPL tones are not listed as an option on CTCSS (leave it off for DPL). DPL has its own menu item called TX-DCS (menu 12) for setting the transmit tone and RX-DCS (menu 11) for the receive tone. If you are using the Wouxun software it's under the CTCSS/DCS option, same place in the software but not the radio itself - go figure.