Retevis RA86

Duck218

• 2 weeks later...

What's funny is at this timestamp it mimicks a traditional seven-segment-display layout like the Midland units have.  However, at forty seconds:  

We can see that it's actually a matrix LCD, because it simply says "WIDE BAND" across the display rather than being some obscure numerical code.  This makes the menus far clearer, and reduces the need to carry the manual around 24/7 in your glove box.

• 1 year later...

I wanted to comment on the Retevis RA86, have it in the 4runner and I really like it.  Things I don't like, doesn't have channel naming ability through the program software, so have to have a laminated small cheat sheet when looking for an odd or new channel.  You can not, I repeat, can't extend the MIC with a CAT5 or CAT6 cable, it makes a ticking sound.  I have trouble shot this for hours, put the radio on my base power supply and antenna, etc.  I also talked to Retevis, they are sending me an extension cable that will work, but I let them know that isn't optimal if you want a clean dash punch out CAT6 Port. 

Things I like, it just works, it is super easy and simple. The main unit is small and fits nicely under the driver's side dash.  Tested power, it was right under 20W at the GMRS frequencies.  Cheap....., if you order from Amazon for 110 bucks, it comes with the programing cable, so you don't need to purchase one.  I didn't know that so I also bought a second cable that I don't need if anyone wants one.

It has narrow and wide band, Midland doesn't.  That extra 5 watts is nice.  If anybody has any specific questions about this radio, I will be happy to give you the insight.

• 4 weeks later...

I just got one last week, but haven't had a chance to use it much. So far I'm not able to get my computer to program it with the Retevis software.  I should add, I hate computers, so there's that, lol.  Anyway, I can't write to the radio from the software, which is inconvenient, as I need it for the cts tones that aren't listed in the manual, i.e. 114.8.  Could be my computer.  It is Windows 10, but it's getting old.  Wish it were as easy as my Wouxun KG 935g+

17 minutes ago, WSAK901 said:

I just got one last week, but haven't had a chance to use it much. So far I'm not able to get my computer to program it with the Retevis software.  I should add, I hate computers, so there's that, lol.  Anyway, I can't write to the radio from the software, which is inconvenient, as I need it for the cts tones that aren't listed in the manual, i.e. 114.8.  Could be my computer.  It is Windows 10, but it's getting old.  Wish it were as easy as my Wouxun KG 935g+

Generally I don't help others with radios I do not use, since so many others here with this radio can help you. But not here yet...

So I looked at their downloads and first is the USB cable driver for windows 10 and 11 and then the CPS software.

At what point do you fail?

On 2/3/2023 at 3:03 PM, Duck218 said:

Anyone try this radio out yet?  

Retevis RA86

Looks like it may give some better options vs the Midland mxt275.  Wideband and possible more channels.  Looks interesting.

Well normally I’d say ANYTHING is better than midland but retivis is waaaay down on the list as well.  One is waay over priced and the other is still over priced.  One well work ok and one doesn’t work well at all.   There are much better radios available for the same or less money with the same or more features.