Repeater close but can't get any info

WRPQ991

I'm hearing a repeater Loud and Clear, it says "welcome to the military repeater", I should be able to reach it as I'm less than 5 miles from FT Hood. But so far nothing..It transmits the same message about every 30 minutes or so...Is there any way to find out if it uses input or output tones? Or any information? Its on 462.550 Ch15

Also while scanning this morning I spoke with a ham operator about 12 miles away, who was just playing on the GMRS band...

16 minutes ago, WRPQ991 said:

I'm hearing a repeater Loud and Clear, it says "welcome to the military repeater", I should be able to reach it as I'm less than 5 miles from FT Hood. But so far nothing..It transmits the same message about every 30 minutes or so...Is there any way to find out if it uses input or output tones? Or any information? Its on 462.550 Ch15

Also while scanning this morning I spoke with a ham operator about 12 miles away, who was just playing on the GMRS band...

If you’re that close to the repeater you may be able to listen to the repeater input frequency which is probably 467.550 MHz. Then, if someone uses the repeater you can scan for the input tone. 

11 hours ago, WRPQ991 said:

There is a 550 repeater near the west end of Santa Anna Mtn using 141.3 Hz in/out.

Just about every military base I have ever been to has a radio club.  Check out the Ft Hood MWR website or Facebook account to see if they have a base funded repeater.  99.9% of the time, they are happy to have local residents volunteer/donate/participate at events...especially if they are held off base.

It helps to get the young, homesick soldiers/airmen/sailor/marine OUT of their dorm and out in the community.  It helps morale, and probably lowers disciplinary actions too, I'd guess.

I'd be very, very surprised if it was a bunch of comm guys setting up their own repeater and locking out the community.  They wouldn't be using GMRS if that was their intention