Smiley Antenna Mini Rubber Duck

zzz

I'm thinking about trying a new antenna. The Smiley Antenna Mini Rubber Duck to be specific. I was wondering if anyone else had used this antenna? Did it negatively effect your RX capabilities at all? It's quite a bit shorter then any of the "stock" antennas I have seen. 

Link https://bettersaferadio.com/smiley-antenna-mini-rubber-duck-gmrs-465mhz-sma-m/

• 2 weeks later...

I believe there are two stubby antennas offered by them. The 2.5" and then a 1.25" or something close...

The same feller that bought some Wouxun KG-935G Plus has ordered two of the 2.5" Smileys. I'll try to paraphrase his report as soon as we test them. He and I know each other "in real life", and we tested our radios through a local repeater last week. [<-- link] We'll test again when he gets those Smileys. 

• 2 months later...
On 3/5/2023 at 6:09 PM, WRVX790 said:

I'll try to paraphrase his report as soon as we test them. He and I know each other "in real life", and we tested our radios through a local repeater last week. [<-- link] We'll test again when he gets those Smileys.

Did you guys ever get to test these antenna's?

Physics does not care about radio aesthetics (those stubbies do look cool) or convenience (not being poked in the eye or having the antenna get stuck in an elevator door) - a 70 cm wave is hard to catch (or release) with an antenna the length of a finger.

Do they work? https://www.smileyantenna.com is putting together really well made and tuned products! - I am including the webpage for detailed descriptions (I like to go back to the source).

Here is the catch: You will compromise and you need to know what your needs and priorities are.

Is the little Rubber Ducky does the trick, that's great - go for it!

But, the stubby will not perform like its longer brothers and sisters (mind the right connector).

With that said: Other people's reports will only help you a little because in real life, the momentary situation (and all its parameters) counts.

If you already have difficulties on a day-to-day basis, going short is a daring move. But if you are in a situation where your connection is solid and you even reduced output power, you should be ready for the stubby.

Sorry but there is no concrete answer !

My personal choice: If I would try a Rubber Ducky, I would give smiley a shot rather than amazon :) 

My interest in these stubby antenna's is for times when I want short range, such as working around the property and talking to the house. I'm not expecting them to be as effective at long range nor do I want that for this purpose. Short range with low power. Right tool for the job kind of thing.

The same feller that bought some Wouxun KG-935G Plus has ordered two of the 2.5" Smileys.

I also have a Wouxun KG-935G+, but went with the Wouxun ANO-012G stubby antenna 4 5/8" (buytwowayradios). It is not as good as the stock antenna, but it is close enough for me, and pretty awesome for just under $10.

• 7 months later...