Unlisted repeaters

WRVZ612

So, I'm fairly new around here. I've had my radio on scan a lot and sometimes I hear people on repeaters that are in my area, but I can't find any listing of them. They are not listed on the repeaters section, or map and I don't know if they are listed on some other site. Can people put up repeaters without listing them anywhere?

35 minutes ago, WRVZ612 said:

So, I'm fairly new around here. I've had my radio on scan a lot and sometimes I hear people on repeaters that are in my area, but I can't find any listing of them. They are not listed on the repeaters section, or map and I don't know if they are listed on some other site. Can people put up repeaters without listing them anywhere?

How do you know they are on a repeater and not talking simplex?

40 minutes ago, WRVZ612 said:

The simplex frequencies are exactly the same as the frequencies the repeaters transmit on.  Unless you hear a repeater ID you might have no way of knowing they are not simply talking using simplex.

On 2/28/2023 at 4:38 PM, Sshannon said:

The simplex frequencies are exactly the same as the frequencies the repeaters transmit on.  Unless you hear a repeater ID you might have no way of knowing they are not simply talking using simplex.

These are definitely repeaters. I can tell the difference between a radio squelch tail and a repeater squelch tail. The same thing on Ham as well. I'm only new to GMRS but have been a Ham for a while. I have listened to known repeaters in my area and only one auto Id's. I guess the GMRS repeaters (the cheap ones) don't do it, or the owners don't have that enabled. So, I guess I've already answered my own question. I have unlisted repeaters in my area. I am sure of it. 

• 1 month later...