GMRS in Yosemite NP

randallbonin

We are planning a family vacation at Yosemite National Park (June/July) and understand the cell phone service limited.  We will be in the valley area.

Can anyone recommend which of the available GMRS repeaters in that area would be best suited for keeping track of family members?

Randall B.

WRPM538

Nederland, Texas 

I live 17 miles from the South (Highway 41) gate of Yosemite NP. The last time I was in the valley I couldn't find any repeaters. There a couple in the Mariposa area but I can't reach them. I have used 5w handhelds in the valley that have worked pretty well. The valley is relatively flat but there are tall tress everywhere. If you are going to hike to the water falls handhelds should work well even if some of your folks are in the camping areas. BTW I grew up in Beaumont.

Sean

Thanks for replying Sean!

I saw several GMRS repeaters listed on the MyGMRS map, I’ll give them a try.

Because I have some health issues, my wife and I will more than likely low in the valley.  Our children and grandchildren can venture out.

Have a blessed day.

Randall B.

Nederland, Texas 

1 hour ago, nokones said:

According to the map, there is no repeater coverage in the Yosemite Valley. The sites you see on the map will not provide coverage info the Park.

I will second this..there is one that showed coverage, but I seriously doubt the circle it shows, and both of the users associated with it show their licenses to be expired (unless they renewed with a new callsign).

The topography just doesn't lend itself to getting signal into the valley from many places outside the park, mostly the high Sierra peaks, and getting one set up IN the valley, or anywhere in the park seems...unlikely.

Imagine if you could get one up near Glacier Point with some downtilt to cover the valley.. ?

As @WRHS218 mentions the valley floor is fairly flat and a lot of the trails go up and have a potential to put you at a good line of site advantage to people down below. No repeater coverage but I would certainly bring the radios. 

2 hours ago, wayoverthere said:

Imagine if you could get one up near Glacier Point with some downtilt to cover the valley.. ?

That would be some awesome coverage.?

Mt. Bullion would be the closest developed remote site to the Yosemite Valley and even Lowband VHF is very spotty to non-existent from Mt. Bullion. Telegraph and Double Dome (Dardanelles) in Tuolumne County would be the next best but, they are two far away.

There is a very good reason why that none of the law enforcement agencies along the mother lode and the Sierras do not use UHF radio systems. Tulare County (UHF 453 MHz) would be the only exception but, they don't have too much responsibility far up in the hills.

The Park Service uses Mt. Hoffman but, that is on Federal Park Service land.