Baofeng UV-9G & Nagoya NA-701G Antenna

back4more70

Question

Hi all, I just purchased a Nagoya NA-701G to play with for my Baofeng UV-9G.  I wanted a shorter antenna than the dual-band stock antenna that was specific for GMRS.  I have found that the local police frequencies I was listening to (~131 MHz) are not received as well as using the stock antenna.  Would this be because the Nagoya is tuned for GMRS, and is much less sensitive versus the dual-band stock antenna when used outside the GMRS frequencies?  Seems like the obvious answer, but not sure.  Thank you.

3 answers to this question

28 minutes ago, back4more70 said:

Hi all, I just purchased a Nagoya NA-701G to play with for my Baofeng UV-9G.  I wanted a shorter antenna than the dual-band stock antenna that was specific for GMRS.  I have found that the local police frequencies I was listening to (~131 MHz) are not received as well as using the stock antenna.  Would this be because the Nagoya is tuned for GMRS, and is much less sensitive versus the dual-band stock antenna when used outside the GMRS frequencies?  Seems like the obvious answer, but not sure.  Thank you

I beleave you are correct in your assessment. It certainly makes sense that the GMRS tuned antenna is going to be less efficient in the VHF range than the stock duel band. 

Now that I have said that, I have done a side by side with two UV-9G radios comparing the receive of the stock antenna, the 771G and the 701G. The 771G was best overall however the 701G was almost as good and I felt it was better in the out of band UHF than the stock duel band and just as good receive on the VHF. No this didn't make any sense to me but that's where I landed. This was over a couple hours and I swapped antennas back and forth incase one radio was better than the other. I didn't have anything at 131 MHz but I do have some around 151 MHz. I don't recall if they came in as good but I did receive them. So the 701G has ended up being my go to. I like the shorter stance and it seems to work well and I wanted my TX to be as good as I could get for GMRS.  As they say though YMMV. 

On 3/5/2023 at 8:46 AM, back4more70 said:

Hi all, I just purchased a Nagoya NA-701G to play with for my Baofeng UV-9G.  I wanted a shorter antenna than the dual-band stock antenna that was specific for GMRS.  I have found that the local police frequencies I was listening to (~131 MHz) are not received as well as using the stock antenna.  Would this be because the Nagoya is tuned for GMRS, and is much less sensitive versus the dual-band stock antenna when used outside the GMRS frequencies?  Seems like the obvious answer, but not sure.  Thank you.

Probably.  Similarly, I have a good GMRS specific mobile antenna (Midland MXTA26) that is completely deaf on the 2 meter band.  With it I cannot hear my friend down the street on 2 meter, even though he can hear me transmit, and even though my handheld, with a dual band antenna, can hear him.

Edit: 3/24/23 - At 2meters the SWR for the MXTA26 is around 7:1  No wonder it doesn’t work  ?

That’s certainly not a knock against the Midland antenna.  I bought it for GMRS.