2023 mobile unit pick

DEE207

12 minutes ago, DEE207 said:

So, I'm just about done building my overlanding truck and now it's time to put a mobile GMRS radio in. Any input as to which units have worked for you and which haven't would be greatly appreciated. 

Do you like simple or more bells and whistles? I think you may find many opinions on this topic which can’t hurt. My picks… 

Midland MXT575 for the simple. I like the controls in the hand set. Reputation seems good. 

Wouxun KG-1000 for bells and whistles. Lots of programmable space for repeaters, duel listening, scanning, superheterodyne 

I have been thinking this very thing over and it’s a tough one. I can do a lot with my HT’s and I feel like I’m leaning toward simple on the mobile. Look forward to hearing what others think. 

1 hour ago, WRUU653 said:

Do you like simple or more bells and whistles? I think you may find many opinions on this topic which can’t hurt. My picks… 

Midland MXT575 for the simple. I like the controls in the hand set. Reputation seems good. 

Wouxun KG-1000 for bells and whistles. Lots of programmable space for repeaters, duel listening, scanning, superheterodyne 

I have been thinking this very thing over and it’s a tough one. I can do a lot with my HT’s and I feel like I’m leaning toward simple on the mobile. Look forward to hearing what others think. 

I would agree with this take, honestly. Midland is solid for being about as plug and play as it gets; they're sometimes feature limited, but they're making progress there. Wouxun is the killer for features. "Best" is really subjective, a lot is what's best for your use and expectations.

In both the kg1000g (and plus variant) and the mxt575, the remote heads are killer for squeezing a radio (or another radio) into limited space.

I'd be hesitant toward the btech gmrs50x1 and 50v2. My 50x1 didn't hold up well, another member went through a few of the 50x1 and the ham version with poor results. They say the 50v2 has been redesigned. The 50x1 was no additional tx channels, though it appears they've opened that up some for the 50v2.

For small size, mid power, and 12v plug compatibility, the anytone at779uv/radioddity db20g/retevis ra25 triplets are a solid value. Sensitive receiver, 20 watts, and small size (similar to the mxt115/mxt275 body). Often available not much over $100, with programming cable, perfect for the price conscious. (I have 2; 1 in my truck for gmrs, and a 2nd opened up for ham in the beater car).

With some radio background, some of the dual certified commercial gear is hard to beat, very flexible in programming, but more limited in others (not much for front panel programmability, if any, like changing tones on the fly). Programming can be kind of a steep learning curve if you're new to radio. On the other hand, they can shine on durability and dependability.

In my book, superhet beats non-superhet, and since I listen a lot more than I transmit, that's important to me.  My choice was between the Midland units and the Wouxun, and because I wanted superheterodyne, I chose the Wouxun.  I also like the features and the programmability.  I don't regret that purchase at all!

It also sent me on a Wouxun buying spree, for some reason.  Seems like every HT they came out with, I bought.

I do like my TYT TH 9800 for options and value. cant say that I have tested its reliability on rough roads yet but good radio for the $ so far. many good trusted comments above from those wiser than me but just putting it out there. And for a good basic GMRS I also like my Retives RT 9000. it has spent some time on the road and seams pretty solid, cheaper too. 

On 3/13/2023 at 5:36 PM, WRUZ229 said:

I’m using the Midland MTX575 in my 4Runner and I’m very pleased. In the mountains of Western Washington State I’m getting decent performance using a roof mounted Midland 3db ghost antenna.

glad to hear this, waiting for snow to melt to try mine out! (midland 575)

different antenna or magnet one that came with?

glad to hear this, waiting for snow to melt to try mine out! (midland 575)
different antenna or magnet one that came with?

I went with the Midland 3db “Ghost” antenna, which uses an NMO mount. I didn’t want cables hanging outside my vehicle.

You can get a hood / trunk lip mount for an NMO base, but I went all-in and drilled a hole in the roof. When done correctly it’s no worry. Actually, two holes as I installed a Wilson cell booster at the same time.

7c68dc9757a47c7f6914adbcd0329f58.jpg

Radio selection for overlanding is different than other applications in my opinion.

I would look for a commercial radio that had coverage for both HAM and GMRS in this case to minimize the number of radios required in the vehicle.  And I might (personally WOULD) be looking for something like an XTL5000 that supported dual head so I could have a control point in both the drivers area and the living area of the vehicle.  This would minimize the need to move to the cab to get access to the radio when needed. 

The other reason for a commercial radio over a modded ham radio or other option is you have better programming options (creating ZONES for specific areas) instead of needing to dial through a large number of channels to get to the desired channel.  Commercial radios can have fairly complicated zone / channel layouts where the ham stuff, while it may support the same 512 or 1024 channels, will only allow one 'zone' with all 512 channels in numeric order.

Other options with some commercial gear is the ability to control a PS grade siren / PA system.  While the siren may not be very useful, the PA, radio over PA, and air horn functions can be valuable for overlanding operations in groups.  The other thing some commercial setups have is the ability to control other equipment through I/O pins that can be programmed to radio buttons for controlling lights and other things via relays.  Again, eliminating other things in the vehicle cab. 

Think about the amount of stuff that is controlled in a police car or fire truck and then consider that level of control in your overland vehicle.  Yeah, it's gonna cost more than the CCR radio you were considering, but it can also save on space and offers additional functionality that a standard radio can't.

On 3/18/2023 at 1:08 AM, WRUZ229 said:

I went with the Midland 3db “Ghost” antenna, which uses an NMO mount. I didn’t want cables hanging outside my vehicle.

You can get a hood / trunk lip mount for an NMO base, but I went all-in and drilled a hole in the roof. When done correctly it’s no worry. Actually, two holes as I installed a Wilson cell booster at the same time.

7c68dc9757a47c7f6914adbcd0329f58.jpg

im on the verge of doing this, i just want to make sure i can use a rack in truck for kayak with out bumping the antenna. i saw a similar shaped antenna for my cell phone booster. i like the low profile look.