GMRS radio not transmitting

Guest Dudecw

Guest Dudecw

I am having a strange issue with my mobile radio. I purchased a KG1000G+ and installed in my Land Cruiser. When the vehicle is off everything works perfect. even if I turn the key to on everything works fine. Once I start the engine, I can receive but not transmit. It appears as though I am transmitting from my radio but on the other end they can’t hear me. 

This only happens when I have a “privacy” tone enabled. When I switch to a regular GMRS channel with no tone then everything works great engine on or off. Once a privacy tone is enabled (on both radios) then I can transmit with the engine off just fine. Engine on and no transmit. 

I have installed a noise filter in line with the power supply and had no change. I think it has something to do with the Alternator. If I take the belt off and start the engine it seems to work just fine. Any ideas?  Has anyone encountered this before? 

10 minutes ago, Guest Dudecw said:

I am having a strange issue with my mobile radio. I purchased a KG1000G+ and installed in my Land Cruiser. When the vehicle is off everything works perfect. even if I turn the key to on everything works fine. Once I start the engine, I can receive but not transmit. It appears as though I am transmitting from my radio but on the other end they can’t hear me. 

This only happens when I have a “privacy” tone enabled. When I switch to a regular GMRS channel with no tone then everything works great engine on or off. Once a privacy tone is enabled (on both radios) then I can transmit with the engine off just fine. Engine on and no transmit. 

I have installed a noise filter in line with the power supply and had no change. I think it has something to do with the Alternator. If I take the belt off and start the engine it seems to work just fine. Any ideas?  Has anyone encountered this before? 

That certainly sounds strange.  Not that I would know how in this case, a privacy tone is a problem with alternator noise, but the only thing I did not see you write is if you tried to shift the tone from one end of the settings to the other.  To see if any of them work.  I don't know how the noise could strip out or alter the tone but not affect anything else.  However, this forum has some people that have been around a lot of stuff and one of them may have heard such a thing.

18 minutes ago, PartsMan said:

What if you transmit with a tone but the other radio does not have a receive tone set.

If the receiving radio has no receive-tone set, it will still hear the transmission.  

If the receiving radio has a different tone set, or of the receiving radio had a tone set, but the transmitting radio is not sending any tone, then receiving radio would not hear it.

On 3/7/2023 at 10:22 PM, WRUU653 said:

I wish I could help on this one... I do think the alternator may be a good place to start but it's puzzling that it would only effect when tones are enabled.  ?‍♂️

The alternator “whine” is a few hundred hertz’s and might be screwing up the tone decoding on the repeater end since it’s in that range. The sub-audio-able tone filter in the radio might prevent you from hearing it. This is just my guess.

On 3/9/2023 at 3:34 PM, OffRoaderX said:

If the receiving radio has no receive-tone set, it will still hear the transmission.  

If the receiving radio has a different tone set, or of the receiving radio had a tone set, but the transmitting radio is not sending any tone, then receiving radio would not hear it.

Sorry. I wasn't clear. I meant the OP with the radios he is trying to diagnose this problem on.