Power Source?

vefrancis

Question

4 answers to this question

14 minutes ago, vefrancis said:

I want to use a mobile GMRS unit for a base . What amp power station can I get for a 25 watt radio? Br gentle Newbie here. Just got my license. Thanks in advance

The manual generally will state a current requirement, but 25 watts usually works out to around 5 amps draw.

Picking a power supply that can comfortably handle a little more  leaves some headroom for other things you might want to connect, or for upgrading to a more powerful radio later.

I have one similar to this that I got on discount, seems solid so far, and reasonably priced. My primary is a 20a continuous rated Alinco, which cost a bit more. Others will have a variety of suggestions as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Pyramid-PS9KX-Universal-Regulated-Converter/dp/B07KML5SCJ

The manual that comes with your radio should tell you what the power draw is during transmit. Round this value up to the nearest multiple of 5 and you should be good. I personally use the Mean Well (Meanwell) brand of power supplies that can be found on Amazon as well.