Old software for repeater programming

VETCOMMS

Best investment you can make if you are going to get into working on radios seriously. 

Another piece of advice.  Have someone reload the machine with DOS 6.2 then reload Windows XP for DUAL BOOT.

Some of the older radios never had a Windows version of programming software and you will have to use DOS to run the programming application.

I run Windows 10 on a desktop. I have several 30-40 year old Motorola Quantar repeaters. I just installed the "old" software on the desktop that loaded in a compatibility mode and using a 9-pin null modem cable, I successfully programmed one of the Quantars. We'll need to use an RS232-to USB adapter with a laptop for remote work. 

2 hours ago, JB007Rules said:

Ebay - Old Toughbook.

I found some nice functional desktops while walking at night through an apartment complex. They were just sitting on the ground next to the dumpster. Can't beat free. Some still had the hard drive installed with the OS on it.

I'm getting a Windows 8 from eBay for programming my Vertex Standard EVX R70-G7-40 Repeater. 

I have a very old Sony that was a originally a Windows ME machine that I had a computer Geek reformat it with DOS 6. something that I use for my HT1000, MT2000, and older version MTS2000 radios.  I use a HP Pavillion Laptop with XP for my newer version MTS2000, and my Astro XTS3000.  I use a Windows 11 laptop for my Astro 25 XTS 1500, XTS2500, and XTS5000 series, Midland MXT500, and my Wouxun KG1000G Plus radios.

3 hours ago, WRQC527 said:

I run Windows 10 on a desktop. I have several 30-40 year old Motorola Quantar repeaters. I just installed the "old" software on the desktop that loaded in a compatibility mode and using a 9-pin null modem cable, I successfully programmed one of the Quantars. We'll need to use an RS232-to USB adapter with a laptop for remote work. 

Yes, Quantars will work like that.  MTR2000 software however doesn't, or at least I never had any luck with it.  MTR2000 software, Astrospectra /XTS 3000's needed something older as well.  You get into the old 3 digit model number Kenwoods and the Maratrac / Maxtrac / Spectra Motorola's and you are DOS only.  But the software will run on a fast machine.  The stuff that's older than that generation like the Syntor's needed a 386 / 486 at MAX to program them.  I actually have an old 286 for the oldest stuff.  Not even sure if it works any more.  Those old MFM and ESDI drives could have the heads stick to the platters of the drives if they sat too long.  I haven't done any work on that old equipment in 10 or more years.  But I maintain the ability to or at least try to maintain it.

And I have seen older Motorola radios get bricked by people trying to use Windows XP and a DOS window to program them.

For some old mobile or HT, so what, you're out 30 bucks for another radio.

Got brick an MTR or older Kenwood repeater and things get a bit more serious and costly. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2023 at 4:02 PM, gortex2 said:

Both are easy to program. Both are windows based but wont run on W10/11. I run both on an old w95 pc

Understood, thanks.  I think I've read the GR1225 can be programmed with Windows XP and in other places I've read Windows 7 will work as well.  For the MTR2000 I think I've read Windows 7 works.  I just want to be clear on what I need for a programming computer before I purchase the repeater.  Also, would someone with real world experience be able to help me with programming once I purchase the repeater or what resources are there to help me?  I see limited videos about how to do this but perhaps these come with a user manual that is excellent at describing how to program the repeater?  Just trying to be prepared before the purchase.

I have used XP on both versions. I never had luck with either on W7. I still have multiple old units for programming stuff. My Toughbook has dual boot XP and 95 for alot of it. 

Once you have a codeplug its simple to do. MTR requires a special cable thats a bit different but is out there. GR1225 uses same cable as M1225/CDM etc. I still use a rib on my GR1225 radios. MTR is straight 9 pin to comm port.

After programming my Vertex Standard EVX R70-G7 repeater it would appear that there's not much to programming other repeaters, its not like programming a mobile or portable with tons of features. I assume most repeater have very few programming parameters such as, TX & RX freqs and tones, analog or digital emissions, power level, TOT, and hang time.

Repeaters should be a piece-of-cake, insofar as programming. Just make sure that the duplexer is properly tuned and you build your cables with quality  low-loss coax cable, and connectors.