GMRS regulations spreadsheet

davidotoole

While reviewing the GMRS and FRS rules for my project I made a spreadsheet with all the relevant regulations so that I can see everything at a glance. I thought I would post it here in case anyone finds it useful, although I cannot promise that there are no errors. Perhaps someone knowledgeable could look it over and correct me! If you have time. :)

GMRS and FRS radio regulations matrix (1).xlsx GMRS and FRS radio regulations matrix - Google Sheets.pdf

17 minutes ago, davidotoole said:

Hi everyone, I've updated the spreadsheet (see attachment) with just about everything I've been able to find. I hope you find it useful. 

gmrs.pdf 38.07 kB · 4 downloads

You’ve obviously gone to a lot of effort.  I commend you for that.

Personally, though, I just refer to the actual regulations here: https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-47/chapter-I/subchapter-D/part-95

Or for just GMRS: https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-47/chapter-I/subchapter-D/part-95#subpart-E

This is super-useful!  Do you mind if folks distribute it?

I'm trying to set up a local group too....

Sure, go ahead. I'd like to give you Excel, ODF, and CSV formats as well so that you can modify or convert it.

GMRS and FRS radio regulations matrix - Main operational regulations.csv GMRS and FRS radio regulations matrix.ods GMRS and FRS radio regulations matrix (3).xlsx

On 3/27/2023 at 8:01 AM, davidotoole said:

Hi everyone, I've updated the spreadsheet (see attachment) with just about everything I've been able to find. I hope you find it useful. 

I don’t have an aversion to diving into the actual regs but this is very clear, basic and well laid out and I feel this would be great to hand to someone with no knowledge of the service as well as great reference material. Nice job and thanks for the download.

3 hours ago, WRUU653 said:

I don’t have an aversion to diving into the actual regs but this is very clear, basic and well laid out and I feel this would be great to hand to someone with no knowledge of the service as well as great reference material. Nice job and thanks for the download.

I agree. I must have been feeling churlish the other day. The document is an excellent and concise reference to the regulations. I apologize for not being more positive. 

On 3/18/2023 at 6:29 AM, davidotoole said:

While reviewing the GMRS and FRS rules for my project I made a spreadsheet with all the relevant regulations so that I can see everything at a glance. I thought I would post it here in case anyone finds it useful, although I cannot promise that there are no errors. Perhaps someone knowledgeable could look it over and correct me! If you have time. :)

GMRS and FRS radio regulations matrix (1).xlsx 54.14 kB · 15 downloads GMRS and FRS radio regulations matrix - Google Sheets.pdf 28.56 kB · 9 downloads

Awesome! Good job sir, thank you!

On 3/18/2023 at 10:29 AM, davidotoole said:

GMRS and FRS radio regulations matrix (1).xlsx 54.14 kB · 17 downloads GMRS and FRS radio regulations matrix - Google Sheets.pdf 28.56 kB · 10 downloads

A lot of radio manufacturers have made small errors on channel spacing especially on the BTECH GMRS PRO. It's impossible to get Channels 1 through 7 and 15 through 22 on 20.0khz. They will only do 25.0khz. which technically is off by 5khz from what I see in the FCC Part 95E. Channels 8 through 14 are the ones that meet FCC requirements for narrow band.

4 hours ago, Adamdaj said:

small errors on channel spacing

Channel spacing and occupied bandwidth are different things. On narrowband channels, spacing is 12.5 KHz, while occupied bandwidth is usually 11 KHz and even less on some chinese radios. On wideband channels spacing is 25 kHz, while bandwidth is 20 kHz, and on many radios is actually 16 kHz. This is how interstitial channels fit (barely).