Daily Driver

WRTT642

Hello all,

I was just curious, what radio do you all use for your daily driver? How do you typically use it? I know there are hams on here as well, so I would be curious if any of you hams have MARS modded radios and use it to monitor GMRS/MURS/FRS while using it for ham activities? I have a MARS mod Icom ID-52a and use it for regular ham and Dstar activities, but I also like to scan the GMRS/MURS/FRS channels while I am in town. When out camping and hiking with family I have four Baofeng UV-9G's that I give to my wife and kids so we can all talk together and also so I don't have to use my Icom and risk it getting broken while out in the Alaskan wilderness.  So, what radios do you use on a daily basis and do any of you hams use modded radios to listen to GMRS/MURS/FRS channels? 

For GMRS all vehicles (mine and my parents) have midlands. I also run commercial Motorola(APX) gear in all my vehicles for PS/Ham/GMRS if needed. When on the jeep trails I'll normally have my Motorola T600 on my belt as its a durable little unit and at end of day wash it off in the sink for the next day. What ham stuff I do have (for APRS) is only used for ham stuff. No need or reason to mod it.

In the Jeep, I'm running two 110w XTL5000 radios (one for VHF and one for UHF). I also have some customized Yaesu FMT-300DRs for same band/crossband VHF/UHF repeater systems and an FT-891 HF radio.

I have entirely too many radios at home to bore people with... but the flavor is a variety of Icoms such as an IC-745, IC-746 Pro, IC-7000 and IC-7300. I have a bunch of HTs; mostly Baofeng and Yaesu. Also a 300w VHF Amp (FM and SSB) for when tropo ducts are the place to be or if I want to mess around during a VHF contest.

I really want  991a. I need to stop making excuses and just buy one.