Base Station In and End Table

6288boender

Somewhat new to this GMRS stuff. But I’d like to build an end table next to my  chair that I could put a power supply in, that is well ventilated. And install a radio in. I would run coax and power up through the floor or wall. I’d be able to open a drawer or lid to access the radio and mic. When I’m done I can close it and it’s out of the way. 
Here’s my questions since I am better at woodworking than radios or electrical.

1. Is this a safe idea to put this in a cabinet that is ventilated?

2. Will this damage equipment over time? 

3. Am I overthinking it? Am I better off just setting up a repeater and using a HT. 

4. If anyone has built something like this would they be willing to share tips, hints, pictures?

5. would this cause any interference?

WRKG699 

Im running a Diamond 40Amp Power supply mounted in a 36"x48" cabinet.  My repeater radios are also in this same cabinet where i have placed a wireless SensorPush temperature monitor set at 90 Degrees.  I also have two AirPlate venation fans (one exhaust one push fan) mounted on top and bottom of the cabinet and set to come on at 80 Degrees.   The ventilation fans do kick in once in while, the temperature monitor never has went to alarm..  This is all mounted in my garage where the temp stays at 70-80 degrees.  

1 hour ago, 6288boender said:

1. Is this a safe idea to put this in a cabinet that is ventilated?

2. Will this damage equipment over time? 

3. Am I overthinking it? Am I better off just setting up a repeater and using a HT. 

4. If anyone has built something like this would they be willing to share tips, hints, pictures?

5. would this cause any interference?

In order:

1. Yes.  If necessary you can always add a fan.

2. No.

3. Not at all.  No, you are not better off setting up a repeater and using an HT, especially if you’re trying to hit another repeater.

4. Sorry, I haven’t. Please share your pictures though.

5. No, being in a wooden cabinet will not cause interference.

As long as you consider air flow across the equipment it should be fine.  Obviously don't build a pocket for the radio to slide into that has no air movement.  That goes for the radio and the power supply. 

Far as interference. Again it shouldn't be a problem as long as the antenna is not right there in the room.  Put the antenna outside and use quality cable to connect it to the radio and it will be fine.

You have to remember that mobile radios typically are mounted in vehicles that see high internal temperatures and suffer from a lack of real air flow.  Places like under seats and in trunks are common.  You are gonna have it in a conditioned space.  But I would watch the placement of the cabinet so you are not near a furnace vent that would be blowing hot air into the cabinet.

I use an HT so I can take it to another room… you know if I see that it’s bothering my wife ?

However to your idea, one thing I would like if it were me is a way to easily see the radio display and controls. Either with a radio that has it in the mic like the Midland MXT575 or some creative use of remotely mounted display like the KG-1000 plus. I also would love to see what you come up with. Please share photos if you go through with this. 

If one is mostly in a receive mode, it probably will not be overly critical...

But it is a common situation that transmitting consumes two to three times the electrical power relative to the output power. IOWs, a 50W transmitter is consuming 100-150W of electricity -- and the excess (50-100W) is released as heat. Think of a 100W incandescent light bulb (do they still sell such things?) -- that's the heat source of an old "Easy-Bake" oven! That's the heat you want to dissipate.