Receiving signal from repeater, but no volume

WRPT260

Question

Radio Wouxun KG-935G

There is a repeater nearby that I used to be able to hear, however as of late I can "see" transmission on the receive signal gauge on my radio but I can't hear anything.   The incoming signal is very strong (according to the scale), but there is not sound (no static nothing).  Squelch is set to almost the lowest setting.  Volume on the radio is all the way and I've made sure the repeater tone is correct.

Thoughts?

Repeater Screenshot.jpg

5 answers to this question

12 hours ago, WRPT260 said:

Radio Wouxun KG-935G

There is a repeater nearby that I used to be able to hear, however as of late I can "see" transmission on the receive signal gauge on my radio but I can't hear anything.   The incoming signal is very strong (according to the scale), but there is not sound (no static nothing).  Squelch is set to almost the lowest setting.  Volume on the radio is all the way and I've made sure the repeater tone is correct.

Thoughts?

Repeater Screenshot.jpg

As @BoxCar and @WRUU653 both said, the first step in diagnosing reception issues is to clear out the receive tone or turn off tone squelch.  The reason is that a radio without a tone for receive will hear everything within range on that frequency.  A receiver with a tone set will only break squelch for transmissions that match the tone. Some radios have a “Moni” button that  gets around all of that.

But you said you get absolutely no sound. If so, check to see: are you able to receive audio from other channels?  If not, then have you recently plugged in a cable to program your radio or an earphone cable?  It’s not an unknown problem for an earphone or microphone jack to fail, leaving the owner puzzled why they cannot hear or why nobody can hear them.  A friend of mine with a UV5R was transmitting to the repeater and we all saw a good signal strength, but none of us could hear him. His microphone jack failed, leaving the radio in a state where the internal microphone is bypassed. It sends carrier (and roger beep, which is how we knew who it was) without audio.  He’s able to plug-in a microphone and use it though.  

If there’s a possibility something like that happened, plugging in an earphone might help.

28 minutes ago, WRPT260 said:

That worked!   Okay I'm a bit of a newbie to repeaters.   When I setup any repeater, I should always only fill that into the Tx CTCSS/DCS and leave the Rx tone blank?

You said you used to be able to hear this repeater so something changed. It may be that you programmed in the wrong RX tone or that the repeater has changed their tones. @Sshannon explains well the reason to leave the RX tones off when diagnosing an issue with receiving. Now you can check to see if you are accessing the repeater and you will be able to tell having eliminated the RX problem by turning RX off. Based on the RX tone not being correct as you now know it’s possible your TX is wrong also but now you can diagnose that separately.