GPS recommendations

davidotoole

I'm purchasing a waterproof/dustproof tablet with built in multi-satellite GPS for use on the trails along with our GMRS radios and geo-data recording with GIS software. But I've been told that for best accuracy it's best to use an external GPS unit. Are there any GPS experts here who might be able to recommend a good Bluetooth GPS that works with Android?   

15 hours ago, WRUU653 said:

@davidotoole I don't know about working with android but have you seen the Garmin Rino 750 ? It's Gmrs, GPS and camera all rolled into one. Not cheap though. and I am not sure if it does repeaters. At any rate they have a lot of GPS devices, maybe you'll find something ideal there. 

On the Rino the repeater channels don’t appear by default, but once you enable it for repeater use they do.  They are excellent.  I don’t have the 750, but I have one a bit older. 675 maybe? No camera built in, but it does have the ability to send and receive pictures.  It’s rugged, super visible in bright sunshine, and very easy to change tones.  

23 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

On the Rino the repeater channels don’t appear by default, but once you enable it for repeater use they do.  They are excellent.  I don’t have the 750, but I have one a bit older. 675 maybe? No camera built in, but it does have the ability to send and receive pictures.  It’s rugged, super visible in bright sunshine, and very easy to change tones.  

Damn it Steve, You are not making it easy to not spend more money ? 

4 minutes ago, WRUU653 said:

Damn it Steve, You are not making it easy to not spend more money ? 

Okay, so let me tell you one thing that some people here would object to.  The channels on mine (and I suspect all others ?) are all preset.  By that I mean there’s a simple choice of 30 channels.  You cannot have six different channels set up and ready to go to cover the six repeaters in your state that all use 462.700.  You just have to change the tones for that channel depending on where you are.  They’re really ideally set up for communications between people where you want to know where each other are.

And, mine at least, is well made in Taiwan, not communist China.

2 minutes ago, WRUU653 said:

It’s my own fault @Sshannon that I started looking at those. All kidding aside I covet much of their products. The idea that these are super visible in bright sunshine I found enticing. The idea that I would want two may keep my wallet safe. Thanks for the additional info. 

If you can live with a monochrome map, they have a model that you could afford to buy two of. 
I love how they share the location of each handheld. All the senior members of our rocket club carry them so we can keep track of each other. 

You aren't going to get survey grade location with anything unless you are running a survey instrument (such as a Trimble R6 running VRS to be on state plane with a complete data collector). Anything you will get in the retail market will still be 3m (10 ft) accuracy at its best, which would be enough for your use. 

If it were me, I would just use a basic tablet and a spreadsheet. Put columns for northing and easting, get a radio that can measure the signal in db or dbm, and put that in column 3. Add other columns for comments and note readability or not. Compile when you get home, then add to your software.

3 hours ago, Sshannon said:

Of course, if one enables repeater channels, one has to be aware of the FCC regulations regarding digital data...

§ 95.1773 GMRS authorized bandwidths.

Each GMRS transmitter type must be designed such that the occupied bandwidth does not exceed the authorized bandwidth for the channels used. Operation of GMRS stations must also be in compliance with these requirements.

(c) Digital data transmissions. Digital data transmissions are limited to the 462 MHz main channels and interstitial channels in the 462 MHz and 467 MHz bands.

IE; digital is NOT permitted on the repeater input frequencies (aka: 467MHz main channels).

§ 95.1731 Permissible GMRS uses.

The operator of a GMRS station may use that station for two-way plain language voice communications with other GMRS stations and with FRS units concerning personal or business activities.

(d) Digital data. GMRS hand-held portable units may transmit digital data containing location information, or requesting location information from one or more other GMRS or FRS units, or containing a brief text message to another specific GMRS or FRS unit.

Implication is simplex-only

6 minutes ago, KAF6045 said:

Of course, if one enables repeater channels, one has to be aware of the FCC regulations regarding digital data...

IE; digital is NOT permitted on the repeater input frequencies (aka: 467MHz main channels).

Implication is simplex-only

Thanks for the reminder, but the Garmin radios don’t transmit GPS data on the repeater channels.  Also, because they are capable of sending GPS data they have molded in antennas that cannot be changed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...