Antenna for mobile

WRWE744

Other than some complaints of possible used items received from Amazon, I've seen nothing but good reviews for the mxta26. On the actual downside is the size, at close to 3 ft.

If you need to go smaller for clearance, antenna farm has a good selection for gmrs (tuned for 450-470mhz), and Laird are usually a good bet, either the 12" 5/8 wave (I've had great results with the ham version of this) or the 15" no ground plane versions (whole category).

I picked up the Laird BB4503 for use with a mag mount and RG-8X.  Out of the box it is tuned right about 452-453 MHz (using a Rig Expert Stick Pro).  They give you exact trimming lengths to use, spaced at 5 MHz intervals (450, 455, 460, 465, 470 MHz).  I'm within 1/8" from their 465 MHz measurement and have a nice flat curve throughout the entire GMRS band, IIRC about 1.2:1.  I wouldn't have any issues picking up another one, and just might.

The Midland MXTA26 is an exceptional antenna as well if you have the room for it.  Another option is the Browning BR-450 UHF, which also requires trimming and is a tall antenna.  Those that I've spoken to that own them have been very happy with their quality and performance.

10 hours ago, SpeedSpeak2Me said:

.  Another option is the Browning BR-450 UHF, which also requires trimming and is a tall antenna.  Those that I've spoken to that own them have been very happy with their quality and performance.

They seem to be harder to find now, but I had good results with a Browning br-1713-bs. It's a little less gain than the Midland, still 2x5/8 wave, but trading the gain for wider bandwidth, I want to say it's rated for 410-490mhz, and a great option to combine 70cm and gmrs (dual certified LMR radio, perhaps).

3 hours ago, wayoverthere said:

They seem to be harder to find now, but I had good results with a Browning br-1713-bs. It's a little less gain than the Midland, still 2x5/8 wave, but trading the gain for wider bandwidth, I want to say it's rated for 410-490mhz, and a great option to combine 70cm and gmrs (dual certified LMR radio, perhaps).

I'm looking at my data now for the Laird.  Down at 440 MHz you could still use this antenna, as it's at 1.66:1.  I could have left it about 1/4" - 3/8" longer and tuned it for 455-460 MHz instead, and it would have been about 1.5:1 for 70cm and about 1.35:1 for GMRS repeater inputs.  I really am impressed with it.

Screenshot 2023-04-01 at 00.29.30.png

25 minutes ago, SpeedSpeak2Me said:

I'm looking at my data now for the Laird.  Down at 440 MHz you could still use this antenna, as it's at 1.66:1.  I could have left it about 1/4" - 3/8" longer and tuned it for 455-460 MHz instead, and it would have been about 1.5:1 for 70cm and about 1.35:1 for GMRS repeater inputs.  I really am impressed with it.

Screenshot 2023-04-01 at 00.29.30.png

great info!  when i got the BB4303 (tuned for 430-450), the cutting chart implied i should have trimmed it a little for most of my usage being in the 440-450 range, but the SWR meter (didn't have a VNA yet) showed 1.2 or less everywhere, so i left it as is.